Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Recondo School memories

Thanks

Default Re: Recondo School memories

Quote Originally Posted by kenlavine1 View Post
    We started with 80 guys. I remember during graduation with the other 22 thinking "what the fuck happened to everybody?"
    I try to tell my friends and family about this stuff and they look at me like I'm nuts. To be honest about it I was more proud about my RECONDO patch than my BAC wings. I learned more about myself and my ability to endure there than at any other course I took in the Army. Back in the day if the man in front of you had that patch on his pocket you knew he was not a quitter.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
    George Washington

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SGT G View Post
    I try to tell my friends and family about this stuff and they look at me like I'm nuts. To be honest about it I was more proud abbot my RECONDO patch than my BAC wings. I learned more about myself and my ability to endure there than at any other course I took in the Army. Back in the day if the man in front of you had that patch on his pocket you knew he was not a quitter.
    I agree 100%. I felt like a bad ass when I got that patch and it killed me when they made me remove it. There were two of us in my platoon with the patch and our LT would say "where are my recondos?" and send us out to recon gun positions. It was quite a thing as an E-3 and changed my whole outlook. I made E-5 like 14 months later and to tell the truth, it has kept me driven and focused to this day knowing that I pushed myself beyond what I thought I was capable of. Brasso and the Recondo cadre should be proud of that school.

I still have the patrol cap with the eyes and name patch on the back.
    E co 505 PIR
    D co 2/505 PIR
    HHC 1/87 10th Mountain
    MFer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenlavine1 View Post
    We started with 80 guys. I remember during graduation with the other 22 thinking "what the fuck happened to everybody?"
    Yeah I believe we started with about that number, and I'm reading 19 names on the jump manifest. I know we had at least one that got picked up by the KGB truck during the patrol phase. Might have been a leg or two that wasn't on the jump manifest; can't remember. My unit won the FORSCOM Eagle Award (best MP company in FORSCOM) and the Jeremiah P. Holland Award (best MP company in the Army) in 1984, so it was almost a requirement that we go to Recondo School. Out of the 19 on my Recondo Class manifest, 6 of us were from the same unit. I got promoted to E-5 at exactly 2.5 years into my enlistment with 2 waivers (Time in Service and Time in Grade), and I was told that I wouldn't have even been considered if I hadn't gone to Recondo School. I know BAC and being a paratrooper gave me the discipline I lacked when I graduated from high school, but Recondo School gave me the drive and "Never quit" attitude I still have today.

Thanks

Well, I got a msg that somebody was talking about me and the rest of those instructors from Recondo School....If you think the class was hard let me tell you becoming an instructor was not easy or fun. I was nominated for "Selection" to become an Instructor and I was an E-6 2 tors in Nam Scouts & LRPS, MACV Recondo qualified, Drill Sgt Qualified with an 11F4P , 19D4X, and 91B4S secondary MOS's that I had "either been trained and worked in or in the 91B I had worked in the position.

I must have been interviewed by at least 5 different NCO's, from the NCO Academy asst Comandant then a few more before SFC Edyburn got to me which was a week after I showed up....Later I was told if you don't make it through the Academy records check and interviews, then you don't get to go to the school to see SFC Edyburn who has the final go or no go authority...if you get to him This was right after Jan 1, 1984. I showed up after the holiday 1/2 day schedule so it was Jan 2 or 3rd.

When I went to see Edyburn he explained that they were in the process of writing a new POI and he asked for me since he was told by an Instructor there that I had all the shit above and had help write the POI for the 8 week long LRRP Course for .the pilot class in the SF school (SWC) when COL Bob Mountel (Ret) (SF Blue Light Teams) was running the top floor of the "White House" in SWC.....that is the building attached to the single story long ass building which is the headquarters for all of the 1st Special Warfare Training Group (A)....wild...that's where I retired from in Oct 1996.....to be continued....

So we all met out there and the games begun since there were a couple new instructors, working on a mew POI and also doing some great PT twice a day, so ewe would be familiar with the area. We had some dam good people, SSG Duderstadt, short muscular guy who was the President of the Wingman M/C at the time and later was recruited to help write and teach the new LRSU in 84 / 85 when he left us he went to be an RI and winded up at LRS , was honor graduate of ANCOC and then 1SG for the 3rd ID LRPS in Germany 88/89??. real tall guy Eisen?? really good demo man for those who were on the other side of the road and got hit with shit you'll remember him CPL "" (Lurch), SSG Greene (Hoss), SSG Sicard (Moose) SSG Ltttle short guy sky diving freak he winded up in ( th ID scouts...we trained for nearly a month most of us lived out there before our first cyxle and the 2 new guys myself and the Corporal had to attend every class as an observer or assistitant Instructor until you finished your murder board which was when they give you 24 hours notice to teach any class in the course so you have 24 hours to be ready to go up against 2 CSM and 3 1SG's as they try their best to screw you up, If and when you pass you can then take on the podium for 90 days and then you were warded the "H" identifier for "Service School Instructor" during the summer of 84 I went to Division JM school and passed and the following summer in 85 I went to the PFDR school and passed ....In every class we had 99.9 % of the time the Instructors never left the Camp from the day before the troops arrived till the day they left.

I was also in the process of drafting a POI for an actual real Recondo since I had all the notes and handouts from MACV Recondo, our goal was a 21 days course with 5 students and 1 instructor with 15 days academic and field training and then a 4 to 5 day LRP mission, CORPS had the power to get it if it was well planned, then in 85 PLDC started and the CORPS commander was jumping through his ass trying to get good instructor so he finally said I want all Recondo Instructers (5) re assigned to the Academy and we will start a 1 year SD program from X amount of BDEs to send a top NCO out there...PLDC is a priority....so the 3 week plan died and the rest is history. SP check was bad/// "SALSA"

Last edited by Brasso; 12-14-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: need to add more

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by recondo82 View Post
    I think they switched it over in the summer of 1985.
    I graduated in February of 1986 but I think it was later that year that they shut it down and put those other "kinder and gentler" courses on the grounds. I always wondered why they did that.. It didn't seem to make much sense to put 3 courses in place of one challenging school that provided such good training.
    B Co 2/505 PIR 85-89 and 95-97

"It's just a case of mind over matter..If you don't Mind, it don't Matter!"

Thanks

Bros, been in the hospital with pneumonia for a week, on house arrest now to try and stabalize it..Jan 24 chest X ray if I still have any fluid or it's worse, back to the hospital where they will drain the fluids with a needle or surgery, then 4 - 6 weeks to die or recover. IF YOUR 50 YEARS OLD GET A PNEUMONIA SHOT ASAP, lasts for 5 years...I'll drop by later...RLTW

Thanks

Speedy recovery BRASSO.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.
    George Washington

Ops NCO is offline "Call me Ops" Association Staff
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post
    Bros, been in the hospital with pneumonia for a week, on house arrest now to try and stabalize it..Jan 24 chest X ray if I still have any fluid or it's worse, back to the hospital where they will drain the fluids with a needle or surgery, then 4 - 6 weeks to die or recover. IF YOUR 50 YEARS OLD GET A PNEUMONIA SHOT ASAP, lasts for 5 years...I'll drop by later...RLTW
    Don't be a sissy, First S'arnt. I'll mail you some Motrin and you can drive on...
    11B2P
    B Company, 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
    Member of the original 505th PIR Gavin Squad - 1986

Thanks

Brother Brasso, Rangers don't die, they go to the other side to regroup. Since you've regrouped with us here, no need to leave. Get better quickly.
    "`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat:`we're all mad here.'"-
    Lewis Carroll

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks

When I got to Bragg in '87, I went to what was called ALC (Airborne Leaders Course) out there. We were told that it was the knock off school from Recondo. I learned quite a bit and even got Rappel Master qualified.

Get well Brasso.
    Last edited by Jumpmaster_AJ; 01-16-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    "You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

- Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931

Thanks

Get well soon Brasso.
    E co 505 PIR
    D co 2/505 PIR
    HHC 1/87 10th Mountain
    MFer

Thanks

Best wishes and be well, Brasso.
    "You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

118th MP Co (ABN) '83-'86
    "Heaven Sent, Hell Bent"

Thanks

Brasso, hope you're all fixed up real soon.
    B Co 2/505 PIR 85-89 and 95-97

"It's just a case of mind over matter..If you don't Mind, it don't Matter!"

Thanks

A few years ago I managed to play host to a flu bug that invited his pneumonia brethren to the party - I ended up coughing so hard I actually blew a hole in a lung! Coughed up blood for a couple of weeks and ended up missing 5 weeks of work. When I finally recovered the first thing my doc did was to give me a pneumonia shot.

I highly recommend it - coughing up a lung - literally - is NO FUN!
    Proud to be a Blue Star Family
    Co C, 1/504 PIR, 82D ABN DIV 1971-1973

NinjaKiwi is offline FOG Paratrooper Airborne Qualified
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brasso View Post

Good advice on the Pneumovac injection, has been shown to reduce the incidences of Pneumonia, especially in the elderly! Hahahahahaha!
    Just remember the Chest X-Ray runs about 2 days behind your actual condition.
    Hope you're getting better in the meantime.
    "Upon the demise of the best Airborne Plan, a terrifying effect occurs on the Battlefield. This effect is known as the 'Rule of LGOPs' .This is, in it's purest form, small groups of pissed-off 19 year old American Paratroopers. They are well trained. They are armed to the teeth and lack serious Adult Supervision. They collectively remember the Commander's intent as ' march to the sound of the guns and kill anyone not dressed like you.' "