Thread: Old Airborne Training.

Thanks

Default Old Airborne Training.

You might enjoy this even though they really toned it down for public consumption,

B Co 501st Sig Bn Fwd Comm. 1958-60
    RVN 1st Sig Bde,459th Sig Bn 68-69

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Default Re: Old Airborne Training.

Thanks AL, very cool video.. Much of it was very familiar, I always wanted to jump the big towers at Benning, but that's life. I always thought the training towers were 35 ft ?? We had to holler 1 thousand, 2 thousand, etc etc when we jumped the towers. We graduated at our Assigned Unit and Wings were presented by the Unit CO. Our Platoon Sgt issued the blood wings later in the barracks.
    A great time in my life, as it is with most Paratroopers.

Thanks

RJ They were 34ft.. Of course like Bragg, Campbell didn't have the 250ft towers. I know I posted most of this before but we didn't have separate barracks for jump school. We marched from our assigned units every day.
    They pinned on our wings at the DZ that day. Gen Westmoreland pinned mine on. He and I actually arrived in Division the same day April 1, 1958.
    By the way I guess only a couple of us are left on this site. I am about to just throw in the towel. No new people will participate and us old guys are fading away.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by T10 View Post
    RJ They were 34ft.. Of course like Bragg, Campbell didn't have the 250ft towers. I know I posted most of this before but we didn't have separate barracks for jump school. We marched from our assigned units every day.
    They pinned on our wings at the DZ that day. Gen Westmoreland pinned mine on. He and I actually arrived in Division the same day April 1, 1958.
    By the way I guess only a couple of us are left on this site. I am about to just throw in the towel. No new people will participate and us old guys are fading away.
    Damn, wonder where I got the idea that the Towers were 35 ft?? But The 82nd was always tougher than the "Puking Pigeons" and just maybe we had 35ft Towers.
    Anyway I stand corrected, thanks.
    I was in the 17th Cav and there were about 12 or so of us legs taking BAC. We ran to and from BAC School every day. One of the things I remember quite well was the August heat and humidity. We had to take salt pills at noon chow and our fatigues would have white spots where we sweat out the salt. We also had to do 10 pullups at the side door of the 17th Cav chow hall before we could eat until we graduated BAC. And then of course was the wind machine which was an L20 shackled to the ground. It's the one shown on the "Paratroopers of the 50's" website. Lots of Bragg and Korea memories still floating around in my 80 yr old brain - but not much else!
    RJ
    Last edited by Recon133; 04-05-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

Hey Big Al, You did us old guys a big service with this posting. Like you I went to Ft. Campbell. We only had the 34'. That was my cross to bear in Jump School.

Love the Video- Glad you posted it. Yeah us old guys need a boost once in awhile.

And I do have to say that living in the barracks while going to Jump School made you fair game for additional harassment until you got out.

And I'm glad I served in the 101st-was as proud as could be. Gen. Westmoreland was our Division Commander while I was there. I always thought he was going to be

President one day.

You take care Al and again thanks. Memories are great and we got "em for sure. Nothing like being a PARATROOPER!

We served with a lot of those old-timers from WWII.
    "Get out of that door you Goddamn piece of shit" and than I felt the kick of the boot on my skinny ass and the small of my back-it broke my grasp of the tower door and out I went screaming like a little girl.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brothers all View Post
    Hey Big Al, You did us old guys a big service with this posting. Like you I went to Ft. Campbell. We only had the 34'. That was my cross to bear in Jump School.

Love the Video- Glad you posted it. Yeah us old guys need a boost once in awhile.

And I do have to say that living in the barracks while going to Jump School made you fair game for additional harassment until you got out.

And I'm glad I served in the 101st-was as proud as could be. Gen. Westmoreland was our Division Commander while I was there. I always thought he was going to be

President one day.

You take care Al and again thanks. Memories are great and we got "em for sure. Nothing like being a PARATROOPER!

We served with a lot of those old-timers from WWII.
    Hey buddy, glad you are still around. I hope your email is the same. I will try to drop you a line.