Thread: .22 short rifle

Thanks

Default .22 short rifle

I am interested in finding a rifle that shoots the .22 short cartridge. My purpose for this is to shoot small vermin without alerting the neighbors. Does anyone have any experience with such a rifle and if so, which one?

Thanks

CAL

I have a ruger 10/22 long rifle. The best thing I can recommend is some subsonic .22 LR and a 3 liter coke bottle and a roll of black electrical tape.

1. Tape said plastic coke bottle to the end of the barrel
    2. find a target
    3. FIRE

This only works twice or so...but rather effective.

Give it a whirl, let me know what you think.....

Rob
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/yrualeg1/sigpic787_4gif-2.gif

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people, Back to the beginning! Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla! Where the brave may live forever!

Thanks

How does the coke bottle affect the accuracy?

Thanks

My favorite is a Marlin 39A ( I have 3 of them)
    But for in town get a single shot bolt action and use Aguila .22 Super Quiet Colibri ammo ,It is a 20 grain lead bullet that is super quiet and is about 500fps it has no powder and fires from the force of the primer only
    Makes about as much noise as a pellet rifle

If You Have Not Made Out A Will ,Do So Now
    SSG Hawk Breifing FNG's in Viet Nam
    Take Two and DRIVE ON

Thanks

Cal, you would be better off with a pellet gun that shoots 1000-1200 FPS however if you can still get CBee22 made by remington also a low velocity they are real quiet. Discharging a firearm in a residential area can cost you Big $$$$ so the pellet gun may be your best bet.
    You can also get a youth model pellet gun that is about 500-600 FPS and will take care of most small critters and give it to the new arrival when he is able to hold it :D

Thanks

As long as you are not shooting very far over about 25 yards I have found it to be quite accurate. Not perfect mind you but effective enough to get the job done. Fish is correct when he says that discharging a firearm inside the city limits might cost you more than the .22's worth. So a pellet gun might be just the thing for you in your situation. Since I live in the County and not the city limits they really don't care as long as I am not shooting the neighbors.
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/yrualeg1/sigpic787_4gif-2.gif

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people, Back to the beginning! Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla! Where the brave may live forever!

Thanks

The pop bottle suppressor does lessen the noise noticeably. It also is probably frowned upon by BATF to manufacture your own suppressor. (In other words, don't get caught with it attached to your weapon.) :D

Thanks

If you are concerned about noise, I second what Fish said. If you just want a .22, look at Savage products.
    Got mildot?

Thanks

I used to have an older model Marlin model 60 that fed shorts. I got rid of it and have a newer 1 (5 years old) but have not tested it with shorts as of yet.
    'I know some old tube fed rifles (Win 62,JC Higgins,Marilin) used to feed shorts,longs and LR's.

jimtanker

Just go and buy .22LR CB long shells. Very low power.

Thanks

I have a marlin .22 pellet rifle. I use it for hunting small game with a 2x scope it has served well and is good for about 30-40 yards.

the other thing i have used is a modified paintball gun. i fit a heavy 22 match barrell in a paintball gun and use .223 reloads as a single shot rifle. however i would not use it in town since it has a much longer effective range.

Thanks

I agree with the Pellet Gun. Go to an upscale Sporting Goods store, they have some good hi-powered pellet guns, but they are pricey. When I was a kid, I had one of those Benjamin brass pellet guns, I killed a Rabbit with it, the Rabbit was fairly close but they will do the job. Damn wascally Wabbits. Another thing to consider are the C02 guns, I have never used one so don't really know anything about them. I wouldnt recommend discharging a firearm inside City Limits, some asshole is probably just waiting to turn someone in, especially YOU!