Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MACV

Thanks

Default Re: MACV

Quote Originally Posted by snykypyt View Post
    There was also a whole lot more to dividing the country than choosing one's politics.
    Southerners actually consider Northerners to be a completely different people. Same same Northerners.
    An outside commission simply drawing a line was not very comprehensive.
    Though the commies co opted the NLF movement, there was a whole lot more and older issues involved.
    There usually are - the commies were exceptionally good at exploiting those issues, while our policies - though often well intended - often appeared to be reactionary rather than pro-active.
    "The sky, even more than the sea, is unforgiving of the slightest mistake."

"I think we won..."
    People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf- George Orwell

Thanks

I was on a five man MACV team about half way getween Vi Thahn and Bac Lue tn the Mekong Delta. Of the five members only two went on operations. The Senior Army Advisor and my self the Operations Intel. NCO. We were pro-active in that we were not allowed to be out of an outpost after dark. When we were out at night I carried my M-16 and had a RF carry a BAR and a M-60 which I allways put in place and test fired before dark and always in the unprotected area away from the village. Chuck had a great respect for those weapons. I always hoped they would cut off his avenues of approach.
    The VC in the Delta were much different than from Saigon and on north. Their history went back to the Viet Minh which was stated in the district that I was in. The VC hated the NVA with a vengence. When the US moved out the VC and GVN joined together to fight the NVA. As it turned out the NVA did not send troops into the Delta but only sent Political Officers and guards to organise the political offices as there was already a VC political system and a GVN political system. A restaurant owner that I know his father was a two star General in the GVN and is now is an official in his village.
    Unless you have actually lived and worked directly with the Vietnamese and speek the language and know their history I do not think you will ever understand the Vietnamese.AIRBORNE! GERONIMO!!

Thanks

Being a flight cremwmber on a CH-47 C-model in IV Corps in 69-70 meant I got the long rang jobs, Since the 'C' had 4 aux fuel tanks it gave us an extra 1 hour flight time. I got to resupply so many of the little places all over the Mekong Delta. So from RF/PF camps to the large SF 'B-team' Camps. That gave me a much larger over all look at the war. Besides which after 8 July there was no US Infantry assigned to IV Corps units, only ARVN ground Infantry.

In 1970 I went back as a DOD Contract worker for MACV as a GS-9 and again down in the Delta

Thanks

Vnvetrat, my dad, Pappy Six was in MACV 62-63 in Saigon same as yourself. He was commo and went about setting up relay sites around that area. He said he stayed in a hotel for that first tour as well. His second tour was 67-68, where he supported several units around Plekiu.

Thanks

Recently joined this site and as I am browsing thru everything just found this thread. My first our in Nam was as a Sp4 intel type assigned to the MAAG Adv Tm in Can Tho. Was a fairly decent assignment as we only had some light, sporadic action. Not much more than squad/plt size contact. The action heated up as the year progressed. My boss, Cpt Howard Eakin, was KIA shortly after I arrived. Knew no Vietnamese language when I arrived but learned quite a bit working with Vietnamese troops at the Hqs and with some of the really good,capable line troops. Lots of political issues while I was there to include the Diem coup and several follow on others coups. Returned to states to HQ 1st Army in May 64. Didn't like the environment and wanted to get back in the action. Volunteered for Nam again and was sent to SWC at Bragg before heading back to MACV. Was assigned to MACV Adv Tm 89 in Phuoc Tuy from Dec 64 to Dec 65. Lots of action during that year. Assigned as Ruff/Puff advisor as an Inf /Intel type. Good troops and an excellent Vietnamese province chief who was keen on operations. We accompanied troops on all ops and worked to established and train a recce plt and the beginnings of a PRU. We seldom got out of the compound more a click before we were engaged in contact . Major battle at Binh Gia in Jan 65 that quickly expanded to include several ARVN airborne and Marine battalions. Truly earned my CIB on that tour as a SSG. We were so glad when the 173rd landed the 1/503d at Vung Tau in May 65, we went down to the dock and welcomed them with open arms. We actually took their recon plt back to our compound with us the first night. Left in Dec 65 and went to Bragg awaiting class date to Infantry OCS in Jul 66. Third tour to Nam with the 173rd Apr 67 to Apr 68. Fondly remember my advisory years and the good Vietnamese troops I had the fortune to serve with. Never a concern with their courage and professionalism in contact.
    Truly sorry we, as a government, abandoned them in the end!
    Last edited by Ed; 01-07-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaDad View Post
    Being a flight cremwmber on a CH-47 C-model in IV Corps in 69-70 meant I got the long rang jobs, Since the 'C' had 4 aux fuel tanks it gave us an extra 1 hour flight time. I got to resupply so many of the little places all over the Mekong Delta. So from RF/PF camps to the large SF 'B-team' Camps. That gave me a much larger over all look at the war. Besides which after 8 July there was no US Infantry assigned to IV Corps units, only ARVN ground Infantry.

In 1970 I went back as a DOD Contract worker for MACV as a GS-9 and again down in the Delta
    You probably dropped a lot of 105 ammo at our guns in Kien Thien District Chuong Thien Province. And thanks to the CH-47 that picked my ass up out the middle of a rice paddy north of Vi Thanh when the Ranger ( I don't know the nomenclature) I was in blew the engine. Great autorotation and landing but charlie around too close. Just me and the pilot. AIRBORNE! GERONIMO!!

Thanks

Believe it or not I actually met a retiree that was in MACV/SOG in the Mekong Delta while in Myrtle Beach SC two weeks ago. He was he was 65-66 and back in 68. This was before separation of MACV/SOG. Many do not know this but SOG HQ in at Fort Stewart Ga. The units have been recrueing hevily. They work in small groups with a lot of snipers and keep a very low profile."OLD FOG"AIRBORNE! GERONIMO!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GERONIMO View Post
    Many do not know this but SOG HQ in at Fort Stewart Ga. The units have been recrueing hevily. They work in small groups with a lot of snipers and keep a very low profile."OLD FOG"AIRBORNE! GERONIMO!!
    Now? Or back then?
    www.TheInfantryStore.com
    "Follow Me! Let's Go! All the Way! Airborne!!"

MOΛΩN ΛABE!

82d AG Co., '82-'83
    B Co., 1(A), 325th Inf Rgt, '83-'85
    www.facebook.com/TheInfantryStore

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

NOW

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GERONIMO For This Useful Post: