Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb question of the day: Field Jackets?

Thanks

Default Dumb question of the day: Field Jackets?

So the cold/wet weather has got me to thinking: Does the Army issue field jackets anymore? Back in the BDU days you normally got issued one field jacket with your initial clothing bag and one by the unit (TA-50.) Later, the FJ was removed from the TA-50 and the clothing bag was upgraded to 2 field jackets.

I know everyone has gore-tex now but AFAIK, gore-tex has always been a unit-issue (TA-50) item. So if Joe is in transition from one post to another, he has turned in his gore-tex at his last unit and hasn't been issued a new one because he is still in transit or is at the repple-depple. So what does he wear for morning formation when it's freezing cold? To me this is where the field jacket (as a part of his basic clothing issue) would come in handy.

Or is gore-tex now a part of the clothing bag?
    Martin

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Captain Zapp Branigan, Democratic Order Of Planets

Thanks

Default Re: Dumb question of the day: Field Jackets?

Can't speak for initial issue, but we were issued new gortex and the bear suit from RFI. It stayed with me from issue to retirement, and three different units (2d Foot, Bco RSP, and my home unit B-1-118.
    "`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat:`we're all mad here.'"-
    Lewis Carroll

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks

I believe they issue ACU field jackets. I have to admit, they are hideous!

Thanks

I got issued 2 field jackets during initial issue at Benning in the Summer of '93. Wore them and the pile cap during BAC. Had to have them in my wall locker per layout until Division 2000 came about at Bragg sometime in 1994 when daily inspections went out the window. Issued the Kotex, pickle suit, and Rocky boots at Bragg and never used the field jackets again.
    You are part of the Resistance.

Thanks

I remember wearing my field jacket liner under my BDU top....warm enough for Fort Bragg.......

Thanks

Field Jacket liners are the shit. A poncho liner you wear.
    "`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat:`we're all mad here.'"-
    Lewis Carroll

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks

A bit off the subject, but not too much (and it looks like we've got the answer to the original question)- but the best item the Army issued was the old cold weather parka. You could put extra liners in that baby and stay toasty - even on the Fulda Gap or at Wildflecken in the middle of winter! Of course, the Army DXed it.
    "The sky, even more than the sea, is unforgiving of the slightest mistake."

"I think we won..."
    People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf- George Orwell

Thanks

They issue you the extreme cold weather system now which is a 5 piece layering set from thin Polly pro to thick layers and outer jackets. The whole system is clothing bag and PCS transferable. Very little TA-50 is issued at the unit anymore because the CIF records are all networked you can take most of your gear with you everywhere.

Thanks

Miss my OD and BDU Field Jackets..!!
    "We deal in lead friend."...Steve McQueen,The Magnificent Seven 82d Abn Div: 1983-86
    OIF: 2007-08
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member
    Colt Gov't & OM/Glock 19&26/Ruger SP101
    Still Love Ya Sarah !! I will NOT Comply!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    You and me both, Brother!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gatorojo View Post
    You and me both, Brother!
    I thought you old fuckers wore camel hair ponchos or something like that. lol

Ops NCO is offline "Call me Ops" Association Staff
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by P-Chop View Post
    I got issued 2 field jackets during initial issue at Benning in the Summer of '93. Wore them and the pile cap during BAC. Had to have them in my wall locker per layout until Division 2000 came about at Bragg sometime in 1994 when daily inspections went out the window. Issued the Kotex, pickle suit, and Rocky boots at Bragg and never used the field jackets again.
    What was this "Division 2000" thing?
    11B2P
    B Company, 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
    Member of the original 505th PIR Gavin Squad - 1986

Thanks

I remember back in the day when only SF and Blue Light had GORTEX...........

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mortarman11c View Post
    I remember back in the day when only SF and Blue Light had GORTEX...........
    I got my first goretex in 1990 when I transferred from the 201st MI Brigade (the I Corp's CEWI brigade) to 3/1st SFG at Lewis. Being in Western Washington state, our gore-tex jackets were used a LOT! By that time Goretex was an optional-wear item for soldiers not issued the jackets and was sold in the MCSS. IIRC the price was somewhere around $130. I missed my Goretex so much that when I got to Korea in 1991 I went ahead and splurged on one. Then, about halfway through my tour, 2nd ID started issuing goretex as part of the TA-50 (I was in 2ID HQ at Casey.) So, I kept wearing my "purchased" goretex and when it came time for me to PCS to Bragg, I turned in the one I bought and kept the brand-new goretex I was issued. Of course, when I got to Bragg I was assigned to 3/3 SFG so I was immediately issued goretex again. In fact, I'm pretty sure the last time I had to wear a field jacket in formation was some time in 1991.
    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    I have no idea what happened to my old OD field jacket (issued in 1980 when I first came in) but my BDU field jacket is hanging in my closet right now!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWings View Post
    They issue you the extreme cold weather system now which is a 5 piece layering set from thin Polly pro to thick layers and outer jackets. The whole system is clothing bag and PCS transferable. Very little TA-50 is issued at the unit anymore because the CIF records are all networked you can take most of your gear with you everywhere.
    Ah, that makes sense. So even in basic training they have goretex now? That's good. Honestly, I hated going through training with leftover stuff from the Korean war that weighed a ton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old All American View Post
    A bit off the subject, but not too much (and it looks like we've got the answer to the original question)- but the best item the Army issued was the old cold weather parka. You could put extra liners in that baby and stay toasty - even on the Fulda Gap or at Wildflecken in the middle of winter! Of course, the Army DXed it.
    Hey, who else had a wet-weather parka and took it to the sewing shop to have a poncho liner sewed into it? Mine was made at the local sewing shop at Hindenburg Kaserne in Ansbach, but I think US Cavalry Store sold those, too, and they called it a "Graf Jacket." In the pre-goretex days, it was the perfect thing to wear on a cold, rainy day in Southern Germany!
    Martin

"When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide mission!" - Captain Zapp Branigan, Democratic Order Of Planets

Thanks

We had both the wet weather parka and the arctic parka, both were great with the liners they issued. The problem was, as I recall, the Army ditched the Arctic parka and didn't come out with anything to replace it for some number of years. I never wore Gortex (though our battalion commander in the 82nd had one and used to parade around out in the field in it - greatly enhanced his popularity with the troops).

I gave both my OD Field jackets from my first hitch and my two BDU jackets to my kids. Couldn't wear them anyway so... Kind of wished I'd kept one for sentimental reasons, but my boys loved them so... Thought about getting one in my size but the tent and awning company only has them in green and white stripes - kind of defeats the purpose out in the woods.
    "The sky, even more than the sea, is unforgiving of the slightest mistake."

"I think we won..."
    People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf- George Orwell