Thread: Pearl Harbor Day

Pearl Harbor Day

A moment of silence for the Pearl Harbor sneak attack casualties; may they Rest In Peace.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Amen to that. Remember back then Payback was a Bitch. No don't shoot unless they fire first.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.

May they RIP.
    On the 8th day, God created Paratroopers.
    And the devil stood at attention.

Dittos to all the above sentiments. Sometimes when I see, read, or hear what passes for history these days I wonder if one day we'll apologize to the Japanese for our ships getting in the way of their bombs...
    Artillery lends dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl...

when the Japs hit Pearl, I had an Uncle who was a welder by trade. He decided to join the Navy, but because he was a welder, they talked him into the Sea Bees. Anyway he served the entire war at Pearl repairing or salvaging ships. He told me that sometimes when he opened a hatch in a ship, that dead bodies of Sailors would come floating out. He died of cancer in 1963 due to what the Doctors said was caused by breathing fumes from welding in close places. Another uncounted victim of WWII. I had another Uncle, a step Uncle, and my Dad who served in WWII.
    During WWII, A top Nazi General walked up to a Nazi officer and asked what he needed to win the War. The Nazi officer thought for a minute and said "Give me
    1000 Paratroopers!"

A lot of those; casualties of the war whose names will never make monuments because the war killed them after the fighting stopped. My brother got hit with Agent Orange in Cambodia; he's in bad shape and when he goes I know it will be the long-term effects of the war - but his name will never be on the wall; in all fairness - that would be a tough call because it's tough to prove decades after the fact.
    Artillery lends dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl...