Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The day it rained dead paratroopers.

Thanks

Default Re: The day it rained dead paratroopers.

OMG, that's so sad that those men died. You don't always think about Soldiers being killed during training, but I guess it happens.
    RIP Jumpers.
    "American parachutists...devils in baggy pants...are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere..."
    taken from the diary of a German officer killed at Anzio

PRO DEO ET PATRIA

Thanks

No one gets to choose how they go but if you gotta go, go in style at least. Screwin' or Jumpin' are preferable to waiting for the Reaper hooked up to a bunch of machines while your family goes broke watching. Then again, dying in your sleep in bed at home is a less expensive and traumatic exit. I think that's what I'll take, in about another 60 years .

Thanks

I recall a similar (Parachute, not coke accident) occurring in the early eighties (80, maybe even 79) right before I got to Bragg when the second bird rolled through a stick of jumpers (again, lower altitude), but I wasn't there when it actually happened so can't say for sure. In that one, ten jumpers suppposedly bought it. I know the incident was being used as another cautionary tale when I was there.
    "The sky, even more than the sea, is unforgiving of the slightest mistake."

"I think we won..."
    People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf- George Orwell

Thanks

Well, if it's gonna happen to you try and piss on the pilot's windshield before he hits you!
    "Follow Me! Let's Go! All the Way! Airborne!!"
    MOΛΩN ΛABE!

82d AG Co., '82-'83
    B Co., 1(A), 325th Inf Rgt, '83-'85

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zuluzerosix View Post
    That was 2/505. It was in 1988. One killed, I think 2 had their chuts hit by the C130 and had to deploy reserves. I was on that jump with a dragon missile jump pack. There used to be a small memorial at 2/505 Ardenns St barracks for Dan Kutzler.
    I was there in '88 in the 2/504th and heard about it happening. Sad and unnecessary accident.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."

Thomas Paine, volunteer in the Continental Army in his The American Crisis.

Thanks

Kind of funny (not) how the title of an article is seared into ones memory but not the factual details. After all these many years The Day It Rained Dead Paratroopers is very, very fresh in my mind. For all my Brethren who gave all, even though you were lost in training exercises, your loss is not any less than all the brave heroes lost in combat. RIP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JoBa View Post
    Why it almost as though being a paratrooper is not a nice and safe activity.

-John
    If it was nice and safe, then anybody could do it...
    Proud to be a Blue Star Family
    Co C, 1/504 PIR, 82D ABN DIV 1971-1973

Thanks

As the sign over the 82nd Jumpmaster School used to say (probably still does) "The Sky - even more than the Sea- is Unforgiving of the Slightest Mistake."
    "The sky, even more than the sea, is unforgiving of the slightest mistake."

"I think we won..."
    People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf- George Orwell

Thanks

I was on that jump..I was already on ground when I saw folks falling out of sky..A plane went thru E Co 504 inf 1st Airborne Battle Group..I was in company across the street..B co. Troopers were lined up to quit in E co. the next day..They had us to "confidence jumps" all the next week..John DuPont..