Thread: The PowerPot Creates Electricity While Cooking

Thanks

Default The PowerPot Creates Electricity While Cooking

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...1/the-powerpot

The PowerPot transforms the heat from cooking into electricity with no moving parts. This is done using a technology called thermoelectric power generation. Thermoelectric technology was discovered in the early 1800ís, but found no consumer application in power generation due to the relatively high power needs of the devices in use at the time. However, times have changed. Today, nearly everyone uses microelectronics-based devices (smart phones, mp3 players, GPS units, etc.) which consume less than 5 watts of power...
    Pretty interesting stuff. It might be worth it for the camping/bug out kit.

Why tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at deaths door?
    The more I know, the more I know I don't know.
    If not you then who?
    *2009 APO NFL FFL Champion
    *2011 APO NFL FFL Champion
    *2013 APO NFL FFL Champion

Thanks

Default Re: The PowerPot Creates Electricity While Cooking

You CANNOT run the PowerPot without watery contents, but it also comes with an anodized aluminum bowl/lid which you can use to fry up some bacon.
    Well, hell -- that justifies having one right there.
    We were the kids who would jump off a bridge if our friends did it.

Thanks

That is real technology and a very good application of it. It works by converting a temperature across a special diode into electricity. Fire is very hot at maybe 600-800 degrees and boiling water is roughly 220 degrees. That makes a big enough DeltaT to make the juice. An example of these in your home would be a 12V refrigerator (one without a compressor) or the cooler unit in many computers. In this application a charge is given to the diode and it becomes cold on one side and hot on the other.

I have looked at manufacturing a device with this technology to lower gas milage in automobiles. Another thing I pondered was cold weather gear or ski suits (cold weather/warm body) but it would have to be damned cold and the diodes can tend to be bulky at meaningful voltages.

I'll probably get the littler one for myself next payday.

Ok, back to grunting and waving my arms around menacingly

KG5CDZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
    That is real technology and a very good application of it. It works by converting a temperature across a special diode into electricity. Fire is very hot at maybe 600-800 degrees and boiling water is roughly 220 degrees. That makes a big enough DeltaT to make the juice. An example of these in your home would be a 12V refrigerator (one without a compressor) or the cooler unit in many computers. In this application a charge is given to the diode and it becomes cold on one side and hot on the other.

I have looked at manufacturing a device with this technology to lower gas milage in automobiles. Another thing I pondered was cold weather gear or ski suits (cold weather/warm body) but it would have to be damned cold and the diodes can tend to be bulky at meaningful voltages.

I'll probably get the littler one for myself next payday.

Ok, back to grunting and waving my arms around menacingly
    Think super conductors.
    C Co., 1st 75th, 80-81. RS 5-81

I earned my Black Beret!!!!

All days are good. Some are better than others though....

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill