Thread: Yesterday's scare

Yesterday's scare

Yesterday at around 9:30, I recived at text from my daughter saying that her school was on lockdown.

Apparently there was a fight the day before and one of the students brought a gun to school.
    I have never been so scared in my life.

Hats off to Jacksonville PD. By the time I got to the school, they had already made an arrest and no one was hurt.

Things like that really make you think about the people in your life and how fast it can change.
    Last edited by AirborneBrat; 12-06-2017 at 06:51 AM.
    On the 8th day, God created Paratroopers.
    And the devil stood at attention.

Good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A-3-505 PIR (96-98)
    B-2-121 INF (Iraq 05)
    B-1-118 INF (Afghanistan 07)

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneBrat View Post
    Yesterday at around 9:30, I recived at text from my daughter saying that her school was on lockdown.

Apparently there was a fight the day before and one of the students brought a gun to school.
    I have never been so scared in my life.

Hats off to Jacksonville PD. By the time I got to the school, they had already made an arrest and no one was hurt.

Things like that really make you think about the people in your life and how fast it can change.
    Glad that turned out well! You're exactly right about how fast life can change and how it lets us remember the folks we have in our lives.
    “Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
    ― Douglas MacArthur

Hooray for the boys in Blue!

Glad things turned out ok. Whew!

It's crazy how things have changed in the schools. To me, it was Columbine that changed the whole thing. I was teaching when it happened and the change was dramatic. Things that were acceptable overnight became no-no's. I was teaching a Drama class (in addition to my regular classes) and my
    "Final" was a stage play the students would put on for the school during a special activity period and then again for parents and the public on the last Friday of the semester.

That year our play was "The Mouse that Roared!" a Cold War comedy some of you might remember. The plot was a tiny European country decides to pay off its national debt by declaring war on the USA and losing - then collecting the millions - billions in foreign aid that would pour in to the defeated country because that's what the US always does. The twist was the "invading" force of a dozen or so bowmen stumble across the most powerful nuclear weapon ever invented and end up winning the war with nuclear blackmail. Really a cute and funny play.

Well, word got out there was a "Bomb" involved and you wouldn't believe the stink. Bottom line is because of the bomb and Columbine our student performance was cancelled. Considering the program was unfunded except for sales of tickets (the kids paid a buck to go to the play and get out of class) it bankrupted my Drama fund as parents got free tickets to see their kids.

Then there was the play the kids and I wrote which was a comedy set during the American Revolution - a no-go because there were - wait for it - GUNS being used as props.

It's a sad, crazy world.

Glad your daughter is okay; sad she has to grow up in a crazy world like this. I am sad for my grandkids and the world they're inheriting.
    Artillery lends dignity to what otherwise would be a vulgar brawl...

"I have never been so scared in my life."

"Headed there now."

AB there are very few who run toward danger. Very proud of you and your maternal warrior instincts.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

The world has changed alot, unfortunately not for the better. I have some friends who are just twenty years older than me who remember gun saftey classes taught in schools.
    I think I was in the era when things started to change.
    I remember my fourth grade teacher Mrs. Chris and when we talked about the Constitution, and particularly The Second Amendment.
    She told us that the Second Amendment was mostly outdated because we don't need to hunt anymore because our food is bought in stores.
    I kid you not.

When I got home that day and my family was at the dinner table my father, as he did every night asked my brothers and I what we learned in school that day.
    When it was my turn and I told him what Mrs. Chris said his jaw hit the floor.
    After he was done picking his jaw up, we had a long talk about the Second Amendment.

As for running towards danger. That's my baby and I would do the same for both my children.
    Maternal yes but true warriors do that for people they don't even know. I don't think its the same.
    Last edited by AirborneBrat; 12-08-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    On the 8th day, God created Paratroopers.
    And the devil stood at attention.

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneBrat View Post
    The world has changed alot, unfortunately not for the better. I have some friends who are just twenty years older than me who remember gun saftey classes taught in schools.
    I think I was in the era when things started to change.
    I remember my fourth grade teacher Mrs. Chris and when we talked about the Constitution, and particularly The Second Amendment.
    She told us that the Second Amendment was mostly outdated because we don't need to hunt anymore because our food is bought in stores.
    I kid you not.

When I got home that day and my family was at the diner table my father, as he did every night asked my brothers and I what we learned in school that day.
    When it was my turn and I told him what Mrs. Chris said his jaw hit the floor.
    After he was done picking his jaw up, we had a long talk about the Second Amendment.

As for running towards danger. That's my baby and I would do the same for both my children.
    Maternal yes but true warriors do that for people they don't even know. I don't think its the same.
    No doubt you would do the same for your friends.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf