Thread: AK-12: new AK universal platform

Thanks

Default AK-12: new AK universal platform

AK-12 is positioned to become new "universal platform" for next-gen AK rifles.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/rus/kal...v-ak-12-e.html

Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle is a newest creation of the IZMASH factory. It is intended to replace in production older Kalashnikov AK-74M and AK-100-series rifles for domestic use (by Russian army and LE), as well as for export. It was first displayed to press in January, 2012, and is believed to be still in development. AK-12 apparently stands for “Avtomat Kalashnikova, 2012”. Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle is planned to be available in two versions – “light” and “heavy”, with former adapted for cartridges like 5.45x39, 5.56x45, 6.5 Grendel and 7,62x39, and the latter for more powerful cartridges like 7,62x51 NATO. The main goal in development of the Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle appears to be to improve ergonomics and tactical flexibility of the weapon, while maintaining traditional high reliability and simplicity of the parent weapon. It is yet to be seen if Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle will live up to these expectations.

Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle is gas operated, selective fire weapon using traditional “Kalashnikov type” action with long stroke gas piston and rotary bolt locking. Barrel has improved rifling for better accuracy, and a revised muzzle brake with NATO-standard external diameter of 22mm, allowing launching of rifle grenades of foreign manufacture. The receiver is redesigned, key modification being new top cover of more rigid design. It is hinged at the front and opens up and forward for disassembly and maintenance. Top cover latch release lever is located at the rear of receiver, right side, behind the safety. Safety / fire selector unit is also revised, to provide more ergonomic ambidextrous switch with 4 positions (Safe, Semi-auto, 3-rd bursts, Automatic). Safety / selector levers are located above the pistol grip, at both sides of the gun. Charging handle is moved forward to be removably attached to the gas piston, and can be installed on either side of the gun. New side-folding, telescoping adjustable stock is provided for AK-12. Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle features integral Picatinny rail at the top cover, and additional accessory rails at the top and both sides of the forend. Bottom section of the forend is available in two versions – with rail (to accept various ‘tactical’ accessories like lights and foregrips) or plain one (to accept standard 40mm grenade launchers like GP-25 or GP-30). In “light” version Kalashnikov AK-12 assault rifle will accept all ‘legacy’ magazines in its respective caliber, such as 30-round AKM or AK-74 and 40-round RPK / 45-round RPK-74 magazines. Additionally, new, 4-stack, 60-round box magazine is planned to be issued for AK-12.

CTD blog:
    http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=18093

AK-12_p1.jpg
    FUCK PUTIN, CRIPPLE RUSSIA! HELP UKRAINE!
    PLEASE, drop a buck at Ukrainian Freedom Fund: http://ukrfreedomfund.org/
    μολν λαβέ

Thanks

Default Re: AK-12: new AK universal platform

West by Golly Gosh Virginia...I was kidnapped I tell ya, I was kidnapped.
    Thanks

Never really thought about an AK until I came to APO and looked through your picks Raven. I kinda like this AK-12. I'm assuming that was the 5.45 with the really low recoil?? Definitely piqued my interest. Having cut my teeth on and used and AR for 20 years, it can be kinda hard to look open mindedly at a different platform but you gotta give the AK props for ruggedness. I would like to get a black gun but it seems the low end Windham at a WalMart is about what I can afford, the AK (and I'm thinking they are all made at the Kalashnikov factory so there aren't 30 manufacturers for it like here for the AR) looks to be heads up alternative. Especially since there was mention of 5.56 / 7.62 NATO. Wonder what it would be like with the Grendel? Oh well, guess I'll have to wait for next years tax return; this one went for a washer/dryer.
    Richard
    Amateur Woodworker Extraordinaire

"When democracy becomes tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote."

Thanks

Getting Saiga Sporter and converting it one step at a time (as paycheck allows) is the easiest way to enter AK market.
    Not pimping out, but check my "AKAR" thread: you can start with basic pistol grip conversion for about a half of new AR cost.
    http://www.armyparatrooper.org/dropz...highlight=akar
    Or check Draco AK pistols: 7.62x39 widowmaker and Zombies' nightmare (ask Rocket1972).

Speaking of 5.45 recoil: it's like a half-way between .22LR and .223, primarily due to highly effective AK-74 and -74M' compensator.

I expect Saiga prices to level up or even go softer, since Izhmash bounced back from the bankruptcy and looking for greater US export sales.
    Expect to see 6.5 Grendel version soon; check RAAC for updates on Saiga products:
    http://www.raacfirearms.com/index.ph...gaProducts.htm

Thanks

I'll take one.
    So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights
    'The oaks are just too greedy
    We will make them give us light'
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    For they passed a noble law
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw

Thanks

Even if this weapon replaced the current arms of most armies (and militias) of the world in the future, jackass TV news reporters would still report that people were carrying AK-47s... they just can't understand that a Kalshnikov design doesn't mean every one of them is the same model.
    We were the kids who would jump off a bridge if our friends did it.

Thanks

I was born, raised and served in the USSR, and never seen AK-47 until putting hands on Afghan war trophies.
    Even de-mil'd AK's in High School's Civilian Defense program were decent-shape AKM (and SKS).

That's why I loughed so hard, hearing about "AK-47" factory being build in Venezuela.
    The only truth to it is "AK". The build model number will be "103".

Under the contract, Russia is building an assembly line for AK-103 assault rifles and an ammunition plant to produce 7.62-mm ammunition for the rifle.
    http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20100525/159152586.html

Sweet "Krink" (AKS-74U or later mod's)