Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Are You As Fit As a World War II GI?

Thanks

Default Re: Are You As Fit As a World War II GI?

At 61 years of age I went out the other day and took the damn military pt test. I scored myself at 290. I'm not your normal 60 year old guy. I smoke, I drink, I eat what's handy. Fuck em. I'm gonna hit a brickwall one day and it's over.
    C Co., 1st 75th, 80-81. RS 5-81

I earned my Black Beret!!!!

All days are good. Some are better than others though....

If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

Thanks

Respect, Brother Ron! Rangers do lead the way, indeed!

I'm working on it.

I can only do 8 ultra-wide grip pull-ups, but Friday I got the word that I'm in remission (again) and so I'll have at least the next 90 days with no chemo. Train like an animal time!

I doubled my pull-ups while taking chemo daily, (two weeks out of three) for the last 8 months, I expect to improve significantly by the time I get the results of my next PET scan on June 26.

Of course, I'd have to lie about the run times, since I can't (safely) run anymore due to a right foot that is no longer on the net.

But I think I'll just adjust the test and eliminate that event.

Can't stand liars.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gatorojo View Post
    Respect, Brother Ron! Rangers do lead the way, indeed!

I'm working on it.

I can only do 8 ultra-wide grip pull-ups, but Friday I got the word that I'm in remission (again) and so I'll have at least the next 90 days with no chemo. Train like an animal time!

I doubled my pull-ups while taking chemo daily, (two weeks out of three) for the last 8 months, I expect to improve significantly by the time I get the results of my next PET scan on June 26.

Of course, I'd have to lie about the run times, since I can't (safely) run anymore due to a right foot that is no longer on the net.

But I think I'll just adjust the test and eliminate that event.

Can't stand liars.
    Just continue the adjustment of test standards that comes with age and see what the requirements would be for a 73 year old. I bet you can do that
    I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible and die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor and that of his country. VICTORY or DEATH.
    William Barret Travis

11M1PC2/KG5CDZ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
    Just continue the adjustment of test standards that comes with age and see what the requirements would be for a 73 year old. I bet you can do that
    Good plan. I just aced the test for Brownies, Girl Scouts shouldn't be too much harder.

Thanks

At 61 (only a few days older than the other Ron ) I also scored a 290.

Mine was an IQ test, however.

FOG Out.
    We were the kids who would jump off a bridge if our friends did it.

Thanks

BCT/Infantry training was 4 weeks 24/7 with Infantry training being an additional 2 weeks. Followed by whatever "school" they went to next.

When I was going through archived field manuals and old army doctrine, recruits were only requires 2 hours of sleep. They were also not required to live in a barracks, in 1943 "Tent City's" riddled Ft Benning, and Ft. Sill. Drill Sergeants also had the ability to hospitalize a recruit as en example to other recruits to stay in line. The mentality of hand to hand and bayonet being the goal of engagement is crazy. Compared to the WW1 Infantry whom in comparison were poorly trained in this concept until European doctrine was taught.

It's just amazing. Entire goal of a Grunt in training, was to get close enough to put a bayonet between the 3rd and 4th intercostals. Shooting what they can to kill, or suppress enough to deal the death blow in melee. It's crazy to think that today Infantry don't even learn how to use a bayonet. As the focus is putting bullets into someone over a blade. Just the science of military doctrine and how it has evolved. I was reading up on 13B doctrine from the MOSs creation formally in the new rating system in 1936 to today, and even the concept of Artillery "Danger Close didn't exist. When Infantry called in fire support majority of the time shells could land as close as 40 meters. In some cases in WW2 Battles, even in Africa and the campaigns across the Pacific by the 7th Infantry Division, they would deliberately call in artillery right on top of them just as Bonzai Charges occured, or just before they were about to assault hardened positions they would call artillery before fixing bayonet and charging the enemy positions while being shelled.

Testicles built out of steel.