Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: BAH for online courses

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,682
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default BAH for online courses

    My wife showed me an article on Military.com that says the Post 9/11 GI Bill will pay $673/month for online college courses in BAH funds on top of paying for the course itself. Have a BA degree already, but was thinking about picking up some flight-school courses thru Embry-Riddle before I jump in the airplane(again). Does anyone have any experience with the VA and paying for these online courses? THANKS !
    "We deal in lead friend."...Steve McQueen,The Magnificent Seven 82d Abn Div: 1983-86
    OIF: 2007-08
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member
    Colt Gov't & OM/Glock 19&26/Ruger SP101
    Still Love Ya Sarah !! I will NOT Comply!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    46
    Posts
    11,734
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Don't have any experience with the post 9/11 GI Bill (the GI Bill and Army College Fund did send me to school and helped pay for groceries and party money).

    Pay for the course plus almost $700 bucks per month for online courses? If true, that's a sweet deal.
    11B2P
    B Company, 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
    Member of the original 505th PIR Gavin Squad - 1986



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S. America
    Posts
    1,911
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Give me a month or so. I start a class under this and will see if I get that amount. I just changed over to the post 9/11 GI Bill a couple of months ago. I did get a nice book stipend in the middle of my last class. (around $300).
    The best part now is that I don't pay and wait for reimbursement, it is charged to the VA.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Williamson County,TX
    Posts
    4,918
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    lucky fuckers. Enjoy it!
    [/IMG]
    TCLEOSE Master Peace Officer




    [/IMG]

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LU 40513 20278
    Age
    36
    Posts
    10,334
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Hell, I'm a post and pre 09/11 soldier, wonder if the shit applies to me since I'm retar....um...retired.
    "`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat:`we're all mad here.'"-
    Lewis Carroll


    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S. America
    Posts
    1,911
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Quote Originally Posted by IEDmagnet View Post
    Hell, I'm a post and pre 09/11 soldier, wonder if the shit applies to me since I'm retar....um...retired.
    Yes it does. I drained my pre 9/11 GI bill and I was eligible for one year of post 9/11 so I am using it for my last class and certifications.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LU 40513 20278
    Age
    36
    Posts
    10,334
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Quote Originally Posted by ABN MP View Post
    Yes it does. I drained my pre 9/11 GI bill and I was eligible for one year of post 9/11 so I am using it for my last class and certifications.
    OFS
    "`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat:`we're all mad here.'"-
    Lewis Carroll


    ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S. America
    Posts
    1,911
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Make sure you do your research. I remember them saying if you were a Pre and Post 9/11 GI Bill person than you needed to see which one was better for you. I was getting near maxing out my Chapter 31 benefits and they found I could get one year of Post 9/11 benefits. So I didn't have to research it. There is a lot of good info on the VA GI Bill website in the FAQ section.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West by God
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    NEGATIVE! OldGrunt, I was using my Post 9/11 for rotary wing before we spun up again. I was in my ground school in Baltimore. Under the Post 9/11 in order to receive BAH you must attend a classroom environment. You can still use your Post 9/11 for flight but if you go to Embry-Riddle online you will not receive BAH. I would look into it more. Thay also will be changing the flight programs to a 10K cap per fiscal now. As you know many of the certs and license can cost roughly 10-15K. Speak with a VA rep and get the skinny. Its an amazing program. The "Old" GI Bill would only pay for 40-50% and with the Post 9/11 Chapter 33 you get PAID.....if you attend the classroom. They just look at flight time as really expensive labs. Hope that helps.
    ALL THAT WE ASK IS THAT YOU BE PERFECT AND FAST


    A.F.&A.M. of the Drop-Zone

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,682
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Thanks Vern ! I have to sit down and get numbers for sure. I was under the impression that the Private Pilot was on you and Uncle Sam would ONLY pay for instrument,commercial etc. Has that changed do you know? I have a VA certified flight school about 3 miles from the house. If our Uncle picks up the tap..I'm there.
    "We deal in lead friend."...Steve McQueen,The Magnificent Seven 82d Abn Div: 1983-86
    OIF: 2007-08
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member
    Colt Gov't & OM/Glock 19&26/Ruger SP101
    Still Love Ya Sarah !! I will NOT Comply!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West by God
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Negative. Under the new Chapter 33 Post 9/11 it will pay for the PPL, Comm, CFI and CFII etc... BUT you have to be enrolled in a college that has an appropriate degree program that is conducive to the training. I.e. My degreee is in Profes. Helicopter Piloting Management. And they will pick up for the PPL. If you use the Montgomery GI Bill you are correct, Big Unc will only pay for 40-60% of the add ons an 0% of the PPL. However, there are MUCHO plans out there as well for people who were prior-service/veterans that dont require any of the previously stated. Such as: If I got out and received a 40% disability (which you and I know isnt hard to come by) then you can get 100% everything paid for under the Mongomery/VA. There are sooo many different avenues of approach for you to look into. The Post 9/11 is just an add too approach that is more beneficial in some areas of study. Just speak with a school VA rep or get hold of a Part 141 flight school and they will square you away. Theres a schload of opportunities for you out there. These programs were 75% of the reason I got off of AC back in December. Not everyone can drop the 75k plus for the certs and license to make you a quasi-marketable pilot in todays market. NOW is the time for soldiers who want to fly to take advantage of the shortage of pilots around the world as well as helping flood the market with low-time pilots when the Vietnam guys will be retiring in the next few years (Inshallah) and the next class/group will be moving on into those positions. I plan on becoming an instructor to build time and hopefully one day that dream job will come along.



    Quote Originally Posted by old grunt View Post
    Thanks Vern ! I have to sit down and get numbers for sure. I was under the impression that the Private Pilot was on you and Uncle Sam would ONLY pay for instrument,commercial etc. Has that changed do you know? I have a VA certified flight school about 3 miles from the house. If our Uncle picks up the tap..I'm there.
    ALL THAT WE ASK IS THAT YOU BE PERFECT AND FAST


    A.F.&A.M. of the Drop-Zone

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Comfort, TX
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,674
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Quote Originally Posted by AirborneCA View Post
    Negative. Under the new Chapter 33 Post 9/11 it will pay for the PPL, Comm, CFI and CFII etc... BUT you have to be enrolled in a college that has an appropriate degree program that is conducive to the training. I.e. My degreee is in Profes. Helicopter Piloting Management. And they will pick up for the PPL. If you use the Montgomery GI Bill you are correct, Big Unc will only pay for 40-60% of the add ons an 0% of the PPL. However, there are MUCHO plans out there as well for people who were prior-service/veterans that dont require any of the previously stated. Such as: If I got out and received a 40% disability (which you and I know isnt hard to come by) then you can get 100% everything paid for under the Mongomery/VA. There are sooo many different avenues of approach for you to look into. The Post 9/11 is just an add too approach that is more beneficial in some areas of study. Just speak with a school VA rep or get hold of a Part 141 flight school and they will square you away. Theres a schload of opportunities for you out there. These programs were 75% of the reason I got off of AC back in December. Not everyone can drop the 75k plus for the certs and license to make you a quasi-marketable pilot in todays market. NOW is the time for soldiers who want to fly to take advantage of the shortage of pilots around the world as well as helping flood the market with low-time pilots when the Vietnam guys will be retiring in the next few years (Inshallah) and the next class/group will be moving on into those positions. I plan on becoming an instructor to build time and hopefully one day that dream job will come along.
    Damn, that's a hard read. Paragraphs work. Good info. Thanks.
    C Co., 1st 75th, 80-81. RS 5-81

    I earned my Black Beret!!!!

    All days are good. Some are better than others though....

    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    FL
    Age
    31
    Posts
    892
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Quote Originally Posted by ABN MP View Post
    Give me a month or so. I start a class under this and will see if I get that amount. I just changed over to the post 9/11 GI Bill a couple of months ago. I did get a nice book stipend in the middle of my last class. (around $300).
    The best part now is that I don't pay and wait for reimbursement, it is charged to the VA.
    Yeah I want to know too! I also want to know if I can get them to pay for Viking Tactics training.....

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Stephenville, TX
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    As of August 1st, you will still receive BAH under post 9/11 if you are taking all online courses, you get 50% of the national average, which I believe is around $1,300 and some change. So half that.

    It USED to be you had to have at LEAST one face to face class, but that has since changed. There was a lot of confusion on this, and still is. But hey...it's the VA.

    I work as a work study in the VA office handling educational benefits.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    West by God
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,603
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Re: BAH for online courses

    Thats great news. I may have to pick your brain and see if you cant get me some answers when I return to the 48 contiguous.


    Quote Originally Posted by wezol View Post
    As of August 1st, you will still receive BAH under post 9/11 if you are taking all online courses, you get 50% of the national average, which I believe is around $1,300 and some change. So half that.

    It USED to be you had to have at LEAST one face to face class, but that has since changed. There was a lot of confusion on this, and still is. But hey...it's the VA.

    I work as a work study in the VA office handling educational benefits.
    ALL THAT WE ASK IS THAT YOU BE PERFECT AND FAST


    A.F.&A.M. of the Drop-Zone

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •