Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: GA 3-108th CAV LRS Information

Thanks

Default Re: GA 3-108th CAV LRS Information

Thanks for the advice charlie.

BluesDad, I appreciate all the information you sent me. I'm looking into the SFG that you mentioned above, I sent in a contact form for the recruiter to contact me. I'll let you know how that goes. I'm sure I'll be messaging you some questions in the near future.

Thanks

If you're looking at NG SF, there are units closer to you.
    There are also NG LRS units closer.

Edit- ah, I missed that you're moving down already.
    So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights
    'The oaks are just too greedy
    We will make them give us light'
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    For they passed a noble law
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw

Thanks

CharliePC is correct, there are closer SF and LRS units. When I went to WLC in 2008 I had a guy from the Rhode Island Guard in my class who was LRS with the 42nd ID. Check and see if they still exist. He seemed pretty squared away (we competed against each other on everything at WLC,kind of a friendly professional rivalry). Also, I know they have SF up that way although I am not sure what states. Look up 20th and 19th Special Forces both and you should be able to see where they are exactly. Hope this helps.

Thanks

I've been looking into SF for a little while now. I just recently learned about LRS units. The reason why I mention units down south is my family just moved down to Georgia and my current unit won't let me transfer to another unit in NY but if move to GA I could do a state transfer. I'm also not sure but I read that you can still go to SFAS while still attached to your current unit and if you pass they will transfer you.

On a side note I'm currently in a house with no internet and my phone isn't the fastest so I apologize if I'm asking a lot of questions.

Thanks

No problem. I believe you are correct about SFAS. I get the posts from 20th Group since I "like" their facebook page and there was an article about soldiers in the Guard now being able to go to SFAS and upon completion of all required phases being transferred to an SF unit. As for the transfer, I know most states will not stand in your way if you wanna go up the ladder so to speak and better yourself. If they do then they are simply assholes who are worried about numbers, and if they insist upon blocking you, use your chain of command and go as high as needed. Usually there is some officer higher up who cares enough about the troops to transfer you over after you get accepted by the receiving unit. Try not to step on any toes or burn any bridges, but take care of yourself at the same time. Sometimes all it takes is your chain of command seeing you are not afraid of them and you are willing to go thru the proper channels to go over their heads and get results. Just depends on the unit really. Also, I wouldn't recommend coming to Georgia simply because the job market down here is actually worse than in NY plus it's so hot and humid here I saw the devil getting on a plane in Atlanta headed for Maine. I was in NY a week ago for a wedding with my wife's side of the family, and though it is hot it hasn't got shit on this inferno down here. Stay up there man, trust me you will be better off. Also, we just came back from deployment barely a year ago so the state has no money....no money means no equipment and less schools...just food for thought.

Thanks

The way the 20th Group works is you apply, have an interview, if thy like you they invite you to the Evaluation weekends. Pass two Eval weekends and it's off the SFAS.

I only know because I went through the interview process before Afghan, and just helped KS110 get through his interview (he's as far as I can get him now). He'd be a good source of start up knowledge.
    "`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat:`we're all mad here.'"-
    Lewis Carroll

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks

BluesDad I get what your saying about the chain of command and I deff agree that some people are more about numbers and making higher ups happy. If I move down to GA I would continue going to college after I was finished with my training. I will consider everything you mentioned above and look into some SF units closer to NY and see which ones are interested in having me tryout.

@ IEDmagnet that makes sense, I had a feeling it was something like that. Ive heard that national guard SF soldiers have a higher pass rate at SFAS due to information and training they get from their units but I could be wrong.

Thanks

I just copied the following excerpt directly from the 20th SF Facebook page. Hope it helps:
    Currently in the National Guard, you can now attend Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) without transferring from your current unit of assignment, if you are selected we will accept you in the 20thSFG(A) and send you to the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC).

See if you have what it takes to be a Green Beret, split drill and attend a Special Forces Readiness Evaluation (SFRE) this month to determine if you are ready to attend SFAS.

Check out the events tab for SFRE dates.

Email 20thSF@ng.army.mil to learn more about opportunities in the 20th Special Forces Group (Airborne) of the Army National Guard.

To answer a few commonly asked questions regarding attending SFRE, SFAS and the SFQC.
    1) Your GT must be 107 or higher.
    2) You must be eligible for a SECRET clearance.
    3) Minimum APFT is 240 to be considered to attend SFAS.
    4) No past negative administrative actions, both military and civilian, i.e. alcohol related incidents, Article 15’s, etc...

The National Guard does have an 18X program, in the Guard it is often referred to as the REP 63 program and is identical to the Active Duty 18X program. Email us at 20thSF@ng.army.mil and our Special Forces Recruiter will be glad to explain the process, answer any questions you may have and get your paperwork started today.

Thanks

Both Guard SF Groups have support slots that allow you to "get in", get your feet wet and see if this is for you. We have some SF Support personnel on the site(SOTAINRI comes to mind)who can fill you in. These guys are on jump status get some cool schools and provide direct support to the A-Teams in the Group. Food for thought. Blue's Dad is spot on about the GA Guard currently.
    "We deal in lead friend."...Steve McQueen,The Magnificent Seven 82d Abn Div: 1983-86
    OIF: 2007-08
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member
    Colt Gov't & OM/Glock 19&26/Ruger SP101
    Still Love Ya Sarah !! I will NOT Comply!

Thanks

I read up on those requirments earlier after you mentioned their facebook page. I seem to meet the requirments mentioned above. I know I will have a lot of training ahead of me if i want to pass SFAS.

I wasn't aware of the direct support groups. I should have internet back up tomorrow so I'll be able to message people, do more research on my options and who to contact.

Thanks

I got a hold of the special forces unit in MA, they invited me to there special forces orientation program in October, which is basically tryouts to see if your what they are looking for. The only thing that would stand in my way is if my commander doesnt give me the letter to let me go. My question is if he doesnt want to let me go what would you guys reccomend I do? should I go higher up in the chain of command if he doesnt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue'sDad11C View Post
    CharliePC is correct, there are closer SF and LRS units. When I went to WLC in 2008 I had a guy from the Rhode Island Guard in my class who was LRS with the 42nd ID. Check and see if they still exist. He seemed pretty squared away (we competed against each other on everything at WLC,kind of a friendly professional rivalry). Also, I know they have SF up that way although I am not sure what states. Look up 20th and 19th Special Forces both and you should be able to see where they are exactly. Hope this helps.
    The RI LRS (173rd LRS) is no more. They have reflagged as C co 1/143 Airborne Infantry Regiment. It's still high speed though. They send all of their e4's and above to Ranger school. They have alot of e4 Pathfinders, which is odd. 19th Group also has a company in RI.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

**2006 APO NCAA Bracket Champion
    **2007 APO NFL FFL Champion

Thanks

Thank you for the correction, I am sorry to hear they are no more though. That guy I had the competition with in WLC was good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoTrooper99 View Post
    The RI LRS (173rd LRS) is no more. They have reflagged as C co 1/143 Airborne Infantry Regiment. It's still high speed though. They send all of their e4's and above to Ranger school. They have alot of e4 Pathfinders, which is odd. 19th Group also has a company in RI.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks

Trust me if you do well on SFRE and they get you a SFAS date and you get selected, your commander cannot get in the way. If SF wants you, they will get you brother. I am about to go through the same thing myself. I am putting in to go to the October SFRE for the 20th Group in Alabama. Your unit cannot stop you man, and don't let them convince you they can
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMX View Post
    I got a hold of the special forces unit in MA, they invited me to there special forces orientation program in October, which is basically tryouts to see if your what they are looking for. The only thing that would stand in my way is if my commander doesnt give me the letter to let me go. My question is if he doesnt want to let me go what would you guys reccomend I do? should I go higher up in the chain of command if he doesnt?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue'sDad11C View Post
    Maybe I can help you a little bit. I have been in the Georgia Army National Guard for a little over 11 years now. I am from LaGrange, and that is a transportation unit. They are not what you are looking for. H Co 121 LRS is no more here in Georgia. After the realignment of the units here in GA as we transitioned to lighter forces and shed our armor, they went away. Except for a volunteer deployment from 2007-2008 I have been in the 108th CAV (Armor) from 2002-2010...until my current assignment to B 2/121 Inf. When 3/ 108 Cav came about the LRS guys were rolled into one of their companies, although I am not sure which one exactly. There are some guys who used to be LRS who will swear up and down they still are, but officially, from what I have been told, they are no more. Also, many of the guys who were not stellar soldiers in the 1/108th were pushed off to the 3/108th when it came about or they transferred over there because they knew they would never get promoted since many were substandard troopers. Not all are bad, don't misunderstand me as I have a few friends over there who are great, but they are surrounded by incompetence. The most LRS training you will probably get is to be put in the dying cockroach or have to play medal of honor, but other than those dumb games you will be disappointed. I think one of the companies may still get airborne, but any of the infantry or cav units in GA now can get air assault, sniper, ranger, mountain warfare, or pathfinder. If you are looking for high speed army NG units in this area, we have 20th SF in Alabama right across the state line. Just trying to save you some trouble. If you still really want their number let me know and I will get in touch with a couple of them and get it for you, but in all honesty, you will get the same schools and treatment as any other infantry or cavalry unit.
    This bullshit just fuckred up my whole fucking day. I challenge every fucking word of this fucking drivel.

Right fucking now!

I'll cometo fucking Georgia and head butt you to fucking sleep!
    You can't train for a kick in the balls!