Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 82nd Airborne says goodbye to McBride

Ops NCO is offline "Call me Ops" Association Staff
    Thanks

Default 82nd Airborne says goodbye to McBride

By Henry Cuningham
    Military editor

Taps sounded Friday afternoon for retired Command Sgt. Maj. William McBride Jr., who spent the most consecutive years as the 82nd Airborne Division's top noncommissioned officer.

Retired Lt. Gen. James H. Johnson Jr. eulogized his former division command sergeant major as "a one-of-a-kind paratrooper."

"There won't be another Bill McBride," Johnson said.

Johnson and McBride were at the division's helm during the 1989 Panama invasion. Eight months later, McBride put off retirement to stay with the division during the deployment to Saudi Arabia in response to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait. His funeral came 20 years after the 82nd was participating in the first Persian Gulf War, dubbed Operation Desert Storm by the military.

McBride was "my right arm ... my jump buddy," Johnson said. McBride never hesitated to tell an officer what he needed to know, Johnson said.

His flag-draped casket was rolled into the chapel of Rogers and Breece Funeral Home. The music for the ceremony was a recording of Frank Sinatra's "My Way." At the end of the service, the doors opened and paratroopers outside fired rifle volleys in McBride's honor.

Inside the chapel was a who's who of the leadership of the 82nd Airborne Division in recent decades. Mourners at the funeral included retired Gens. James J. Lindsay and Dan K. McNeill and retired Command Sgts. Maj. Steve Slocum, Charlie Thorpe, Steve England and Felix Acosta.

McBride died Sunday morning at Fort Bragg's Womack Army Medical Center. He was 72 years old.

Interment will be at Sandhills State Veterans Cemetery at 2 p.m. Monday.

His tenure as the 82nd division command sergeant major spanned from 1984 to 1991. He spent more consecutive years as the 82nd's command sergeant major than any other person, but he is second in the amount of time to John Pearce, who held the position twice, from 1968 to 1971 and 1973 to 1978. Pearce died last year.

Johnson said McBride spent 27 years in the 82nd Airborne Division, more than 34 years in the Army, 15 years as a command sergeant major and eight years as a division command sergeant major.

The Philadelphia native was the 82nd's top NCO under five commanding generals, including three years with Johnson. He also served under Edward L. Trobaugh, Bobby B. Porter, John W. Foss and Carl W. Stiner.

"No one is likely to ever do that again," Johnson said.

In a 1991 interview upon his retirement as the 82nd Airborne command sergeant major, McBride said: "We ask our soldiers to look better, salute better, to be more physically fit and to be ready to go in 18 hours. They have to run farther, shoot better and meet higher standards."

McBride also was command sergeant major of the 2nd Infantry Division in South Korea.

The 2nd Infantry Division sends combat patrols with live ammunition into Korea's Demilitarized Zone but "nobody knows anything about them," McBride said. "Everybody knows about the 82nd Airborne Division."

During his Army career, McBride went with the 82nd to the revolt-torn Dominican Republic in 1965 and on riot-control duty in U.S. cities during the 1960s. He was in Vietnam with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in 1966-67 and a Military Assistance Command-Vietnam adviser team in 1968-69.

"Job well done, be thou at peace, airborne!" Johnson said
    http://fayobserver.com/articles/2011...065087?sac=Mil
    11B2P
    B Company, 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
    Member of the original 505th PIR Gavin Squad - 1986

Thanks

Default Re: 82nd Airborne says goodbye to McBride

LoL I still remember asking him for the keys to Area J. And my squad leaders face when I told him that SGM wanted him to return the keys after we were done.
    God Bless you SGM McBride.

Thanks

RIP CSM!!!

Curt S-1, HHC, 3/325th ABCT 91-93 - Blue Falcons! FACEBOOK

A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it. - Robert Boatman

Thanks

RIP warrior, no more pain or war where you serve now.
    "`But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    `Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat:`we're all mad here.'"-
    Lewis Carroll

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks

RIP Sergeant Major!
    www.TheInfantryStore.com
    "Follow Me! Let's Go! All the Way! Airborne!!"

MOΛΩN ΛABE!

82d AG Co., '82-'83
    B Co., 1(A), 325th Inf Rgt, '83-'85
    www.facebook.com/TheInfantryStore

Thanks

Remember him well ! My buddy was the CG's driver (Troubaugh and Porter)so I saw CSM McBride at Division HQ went I went to see my buddy Randy. RIP SGM . ALL THE WAY!
    "We deal in lead friend."...Steve McQueen,The Magnificent Seven 82d Abn Div: 1983-86
    OIF: 2007-08
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member
    Colt Gov't & OM/Glock 19&26/Ruger SP101
    Still Love Ya Sarah !! I will NOT Comply!

Thanks

RIP CSM

And just to the south of that field is uhhhh, more field. (Unnamed ISR Student)

Thanks

All The Way Sergeant Major! R.I.P.
    "You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

- Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931

Thanks

RIP Sergeant Major. Blue skies, gentle breezes, soft landings forever.

CSMWmJMcBrideJr.jpg

Purple

"Don't let yourself get treed by a Chihuahua."

"SF doesn't do harassment. No encouragement; no discouragement. You cannot be in SF if you do not set your own standards. Nobody sets it for you. They just watch what you do. If you rest when you should be working, if you drink when you should be humping, if you let your buddy carry a load too heavy for him - you're gone. No questions, just you're gone. They don't need you."

Thanks

RIP CSM!

Thanks

He was my Division CSM from 84-86......rest in peace Sarn't Major!!!

Thanks

RIP CSM.
    "If you can't communicate, you can't command"
    Student: What if my main parachute doesn't open?
    Black Hat: You will immediately deploy your reserve parachute.
    Student: What if my reserve parachute doesn't open?
    Black Hat: You have the rest of your Airborne life to think about it.

Thanks

I remember him from several occasions, the best was when he and MG Carl Steiner visited us at the 82nd Airborne Parachute club, I guess 1987. CSM McBride was a big supporter of the club and he was explaining various things to the General during the visit (which was mainly for our trying to get more and continued aircraft and financial support from Division...and I guess personnel too as there were two Division soldiers assigned there, the administrator and a rigger). They were very comfortable with each other and I felt that they would have been as at home sitting together on a big front porch somewhere drinking whiskey and chewing tobacco as they were running the only Airborne division in the free world, the Division that makes most foreign enemies shake in their boots.

Wow....Dominican Republic with Division, Vietnam with the 173d, Just Cause and Desert Shield/Storm with Division. Not many can claim that much experience.

R.I.P. CSM!

A Co, 313th MI Bn, 82nd ABN Div - 8/85 thru 3/87
    B Co, 519th MI Bn, 525th MI Bde, XVIII ABN Corps - 3/87 thru 9/88
    Attached to JSOC G2 CI Shop - 8/87 thru 8/88
    HSC, 313th MI Bn, 82nd ABN Div - 8/88 thru 9/91

Leech Lake Indian Reservation - Northern Minnesota
    Thanks

I remember a presentation I did for him about my Gammagoat Ambulance. RIP Brother
    "Just who do you think you are, Tommy Too Cool?!?!?! Can I have your autograph, Tommy?!" - LTC Leonard "Charlie Mike" Scott

Thanks

RIP CSM