Thread: What percentage of America's population have served in the military?

Thanks

Default What percentage of America's population have served in the military?

I did a bit of searching on the web but the only thing I could find is that 2% of the population is currently serving.

How many of us are veterans? Does anyone know where to find the answer?
    1. Look Before You Turn 2. Turn Right to Avoid Collisions 3. Lower Jumper has the Right of Way

Thanks

Default Re: What percentage of America's population have served in the military?

E co 505 PIR
    D co 2/505 PIR
    HHC 1/87 10th Mountain
    MFer

Thanks

Default Re: What percentage of America's population have served in the military?

Quote Originally Posted by kenlavine1 View Post
    That's not a percentage. Based on that number though, it looks to be around 15 or 16% since the last census said the total population for the US was around 350 million.
    Last edited by Hendo; 11-22-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: My math es mui mal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
    Based on that number though, it looks to be around 15 or 16% since the last census said the total population for the US was around 350 million.
    Yup.

And 9 of the 21.9 million, or 41% of the veterans, are 65 years old or older.
    So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights
    'The oaks are just too greedy
    We will make them give us light'
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    For they passed a noble law
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
    That's not a percentage. Based on that number though, it looks to be around 15 or 16% since the last census said the total population for the US was around 350 million.
    "teach a man to fish............."
    E co 505 PIR
    D co 2/505 PIR
    HHC 1/87 10th Mountain
    MFer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kenlavine1 View Post
    "teach a man to fish............."
    and he'll sit on a boat and drink beer all day. Yeah, I know.

Thanks

I read somewhere not too long ago, the Vet population of the U.S. was around 19% which would pretty much agree with Hendo's calculation. I doubt that will increase much with the Wars in Iraq and Afghan, because the older Vets are probably dying off faster than new Vets coming in.

Thanks

"...the only thing I could find is that 2% of the population is currently serving."

This is probably close to accurate. The key word here is "currently" serving. As citizens move in and out of the military, the number stays pretty level, while the number of veterans continues to rise. During WWII we had a comparitively high number of military personnel who are now in their 90s, giving us a comparitively high number of "vet deaths."

Thanks

Only thing I could find was this:

In 2000, there were 208.1 million civilians 18 years old and older. Almost 26.4 million of these people, or 12.7 percent, were veterans.
    In 1980, 28.5 million veterans lived in the United States, but the number declined to 27.5 million in 1990 (14.5 percent of the adult civilian population) and to 26.4 million in 2000. Many veterans from the Korean War, World War II, and World War I aged and died during the last 20 years of the 20th Century.
    Between 1990 and 2000, veterans declined as a percentage of the civilian population in all regions. Among the 50 states and the District of Columbia, Alaska had the highest percentage of veterans, 17.1 percent. New York (9.5 percent) and the District of Columbia (9.8 percent) had the lowest percentages of veterans in their populations. Rural and nonmetropolitan counties had the highest concentration of veterans. Hampton, Virginia, near the country's largest naval station, had the greatest concentration of veterans in 2000, 27.1 percent. Six of the 10 places with the highest concentration of veterans were in Virginia.
    In 2000, the largest veteran populations lived in the South (9.9 million) and the Midwest (6.1 million). The West had veteran populations of 5.7 million and the Northeast had 4.6 million. The South also had the highest proportion of veterans of the adult population, at 13.4 percent. ] The link below also gives a breakdown by war.

http://factfinder.census.gov/jsp/saf...=tp12_veterans

or if you perfer a state by state breakdown
    http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...ayBy&-_dBy=040
    "If you can read this thank a teacher, If you are reading this in english, thank a paratrooper" Bumpersticker

Thanks

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you.
    1. Look Before You Turn 2. Turn Right to Avoid Collisions 3. Lower Jumper has the Right of Way

Thanks

Good info. & quite acurate IMO
    I was told at USAF San Antone... when i went to view my Daughters Grad from USAF Basic training that only 15 % of USA Citz's had ever served in the military, even when there was a draft.

So again great 'in-formation' .. how to fly in a line LOL

So sorry .......but I'm a bit drunk on Bombay gGn and real fresh squezed Orange juice

Thanks

Anybody ever consider checking with the VA for veterans information? Among other things, they collate all kinds of data on/for vets at:

NATIONAL CENTER FOR VETERANS ANALYSIS AND STATISTICS

http://www1.va.gov/vetdata/

Purple

"Don't let yourself get treed by a Chihuahua."

"SF doesn't do harassment. No encouragement; no discouragement. You cannot be in SF if you do not set your own standards. Nobody sets it for you. They just watch what you do. If you rest when you should be working, if you drink when you should be humping, if you let your buddy carry a load too heavy for him - you're gone. No questions, just you're gone. They don't need you."

Thanks

Cool and interesting data that I have occasionally wondered about, even the minute details.

Wonder what kind of percentage of vets are paratroopers?

A Co, 313th MI Bn, 82nd ABN Div - 8/85 thru 3/87
    B Co, 519th MI Bn, 525th MI Bde, XVIII ABN Corps - 3/87 thru 9/88
    Attached to JSOC G2 CI Shop - 8/87 thru 8/88
    HSC, 313th MI Bn, 82nd ABN Div - 8/88 thru 9/91