Thread: Proposed changed to Civil Air Patrol Regulation 39-1

Thanks

Exclamation Proposed changed to Civil Air Patrol Regulation 39-1

CURRENTLY, Civil Air Patrol Regulation 39-1 Prohibits wear of the Air Force Style Service Dress Uniform at any event (i.e Military Funeral for a Veteran or someone who was KIA) UNLESS it's an Official Civil Air Patrol Activity (which is only the case IF Civil Air Patrol's presence/participation is requested).

Personally, as not only a member of the Patriot Guard Riders who has attended COUNTLESS funerals for Veterans, and 7 Funerals for Heroes who were Killed In Action, 2 of whom were from Vietnam - 1 of whom was an Air Force Major shot down 38 years ago and been listed as MIA since - as well as that of my 3rd Cousin who was KIA 10 March, 2008 in Service, but also as a Blue Star family member, I feel this regulation needs to be changed to allow us to wear our Service Dress at a Military funeral for a Veteran or Hero who was Killed In Action. I have started an online petition to get this changed.

A good friend of mine who used to be a CAP C/SrAmn. just mentioned this to me: "they say in CAP regs that we shall render honors to retired officers and recipients of the Congressional Medal Of Honor and other awards for heroism in combat, but they do not wish us to wear Service Dress Uniform which seems more honorable to those who have given the ultimate sacrifice and served our country in combat.

Therefore the current regulations and courtesies they have taught us do not apply,therefore the current set of regs needs to be reviewed and changed to allow us to so honor those fallen whether at a Civil Air Patrol event or a military funeral or memorial service, regardless if Civil Air Patrol's presence/participation has been requested. Therefore I humbly ask for a review by current members of headquarters group Civil Air Patrol to change this so we can so honor our fallen properly.

Through current customs and courtesies taught by Civil Air Patrol, the current regulations are therefore undermining the member's ability to render honors to those who so rightfully deserve it. The Civil Air Patrol is not a branch of the Armed Forces but we do fall under The Dept of the Air Force, and therefore that makes all customs and courtesies of that branch applicable to those members of the USAF Auxiliary."

yeah, I realize that posting this here could very well lead to a heated discussion, but hey as long as we can keep it civil I'm all for it! I've talked to SEVERAL people about this who aren't even in CAP OR the Military, and so far everyone has agreed with me. This change does need to be made.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

(DISCLAIMER: ribbons and patch in my avatar are NOT mine, but those of my grandfather)

Thanks

Default Re: Proposed changed to Civil Air Patrol Regulation 39-1

Don't remember Dad ever wearing a Dress Uniform. Always wore khakis. But there is no reason why CAP members shouldn't be able to wear Dress uniforms when attending funerals or any official AF function.

Thanks

Here is what I think the issue is. CAP is not military, it is Para-Military. CAP needs their own uniforms, it has to be completely different from the AF uniform. I suspect the CAP command does not want CAP member mistaken for AF service members. The only real difference in the uniform is the CAP nameplate and the organizational patch.

Here is a story; when I was 16, I was at Lackland AFB with CAP at a training camp. We were all wearing the class B style uniform. Short sleeve dress shirts. One of the senior members (a Lieutenant) thought it woould be cool to fuck with some trainees. Remember, Lackland is a Basic training base.

We were up at the BX and some trainiees were around (it was probably their last weekend at basic) and this CAP LT just starts ripping into them and smoking them. One of the TI's showed up and it took a few minutes to sort everything out. WAS THE TI PISSED! He is not give a shit about CAP being a USAF Auixillary.
    Zulu-

Thanks

The only different really when in full Service Dress is the ribbons, and rank insignia....at least on the Service coat. On the blues shirt, it's the rank insignia (epaulets), ribbons, and nameplate.

Regardless though, they teach you all these customs and courtesies, and expect us to follow them (and MOST are the SAME as those of the US Air Force itself) and YET....we aren't allowed the Honor/Privilege, much less allowed to render a courtesy such as this to someone who risked their life so that we can live the life we live today, or someone who gave their all? I'm sorry but I have a SERIOUS problem with that.

As I mentioned in my intro, I come from a family rich with Military Service Members, and I'm also a Gold Star Cousin. IF a CAP member wanted to show up with an Organization such as the Patriot Guard Riders (to which I ALSO belong), in his Service Dress Uniform to render honors to someone in my family who had served or was KIA, I'd be all for it and honored that they did such.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

(DISCLAIMER: ribbons and patch in my avatar are NOT mine, but those of my grandfather)

Thanks

I wouldn't have a problem allowing CAP members to go out and about in the Service Dress Uniform.

My son is in CAP, BTW, and it's great.
    So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights
    'The oaks are just too greedy
    We will make them give us light'
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    For they passed a noble law
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw

Thanks

The CAP is a Congressionally chartered, federally supported, non-profit corporation and is the official civilian auxiliary of the US Air Force. It's function is emergency services (including patrolling borders both land & sea), search and rescue, disaster relief, aerospace education, and homeland security. I think they should have their own dress uniform and be able to wear it whenever on duty either formal or informal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Recon133 View Post
    The CAP is a Congressionally chartered, federally supported, non-profit corporation and is the official civilian auxiliary of the US Air Force. It's function is emergency services (including patrolling borders both land & sea), search and rescue, disaster relief, aerospace education, and homeland security. I think they should have their own dress uniform and be able to wear it whenever on duty either formal or informal.
    I agree with you.

Problem is- CAP's uniforms are hand-me-downs.

If they had their own distinctive uniform, the limited amount of funding they get would have to pay for it.

This is gonna be weird coming from me- but I think CAP needs better funding.
    So the maples formed a union
    And demanded equal rights
    'The oaks are just too greedy
    We will make them give us light'
    Now there's no more oak oppression
    For they passed a noble law
    And the trees are all kept equal
    By hatchet, axe and saw

Thanks

I don't think that it makes any difference what uniform is is used. The CAP dress uniform is just that, the CAP uniform. So what if it's based on the regular USAF. Let those folks wear "their" uniform when appropriate. Hell, I had a kid from the Air guard show up to my sons wedding in a flight suit. Now that is inappropriate. One more thing. Didn't the Air Force get rid of their "Regulations"? Aren't they called "Instructions" , "Suggestions" or "Helpful Hints" now? Seems the CAP will follow suit(pun intended) and this will no longer be an issue.