Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIRTY ERNIE !! 1ST bDE 101ST LRRPS

Thanks

Default DIRTY ERNIE !! 1ST bDE 101ST LRRPS

The picture was taken in Oct, 1967 during an EXTENDED 40 day mission for 3 LRRP tms from the 1/101st (they were really a LRP co then but they still called themselves the 101st LRRPS) this was their Firebase they built on hill 803 (?) west of Chu Lai.

SGT Gregory "Dirty Ernie" Winston is seen with his sawed-off shotgun guiding in a SLICK with a 50 CAL on board so they would have a little more firepower. Ernie would receive his 10th Purple Heart later on that mission and his 13th Purple Heart when he was KIA in Jun 1968 when he was with the TIGER FORCE. Photo from Martinez, co-author of Six Silent Men 3 part series.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brasso; 04-19-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: DIRTY ERNIE !! 1ST bDE 101ST LRRPS

Thirteen Purple Hearts!? They let him stay after five? I think I read somewhere that after five you didn't have a choice in the matter of having to go home.

Thanks

I had heard that the most Purple Hearts by one person was 6. I looked it up. I was wrong. The most Purple Hearts awarded to one person was 8. There was more than one Service Member that has received 8.

Information found here.

http://www.military.com/features/0,15240,123694,00.html

and here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_Heart
    FAVORITE POSTS:

"Dr. Phil is not a member of this site."

- Recondo82 -

"As far as religious beliefs go, my Labrador Retriever thinks I'm God; I hate to disappoint her."
    -Purple-

"Besides...the fallen speak to me at night and they told me to help you with that rucksack. Let them take a knee around you and pull security while you rest once in a while. They're still patrolling."
    -Kilted Heathen-

Thanks

Brasso -- Brother, I have been meaning to ask you about two guys who were friends of mine in the 1/101. They went LRRP and I tried to join them, but an LT in charge told me he wanted younger, more imaginative people (??) Anyway, their names were/are: SSG Joe Griffis (deceased),and SP5 Virgil Palk. Joe died from Malaria (Blackwater Fever), and,I would assume Palk is long retired now. He and I both served in SOG,but never ran into each other. JQ
    Proud to be a Vietnam Veteran.

Thanks

There was a 2 or 3 PH rule depending on your unit. COL Howard (MOH) RIP SIR
    was wounded 14 times in 54 months, however he only got 8 PH's

I mentioned the photo was from R Martinez who was the author of one of the 3 book series , "SIX SILENT MEN" which him, Gary Linderer and Kenn Miller I think were the other 2 authors and at the bottom was the caption and it was what I wrote. It also had photo by R. Martinez.

I do not listen to wikpedia and really no one should since I have been a member of that for several years and I can go onto any page and EDIT IT AS I see fit. They had the Colonels awards all messed up. As far as Military.Com, I could not imagine they let me fill out my entire profiel to include award and decorations and asked for no documentation.....there are some wild things going on there for sure.

But I had heard as many did about Dirty Ernie in 1967, he was with the 101st for about 3 years, from when they got into country I think. So I do not know if it is a fact, however, I'm certain that those 3 men who all spent a lot of time with the 101st would not put a really high number like that out to the public. They have been critizied (sp) a lot; for instance Gary did one book on his first 6 months and then another book on his 2nd 6 months, plus one edition of Six Silent Men.

So now all of you have a chance to prove that what was on that picture is true or false, but wixpedia is a no go. There is a place to get the information.

When did those guys go to the LRRPS and what unit was it???
    Last edited by Brasso; 04-19-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks

BROTHERS , I have searched all the rosters for the LRRP, LRP, Ranger & Tiger Force and I cannot even find a GREGORY WINSTON (SP) it was very light in the caption I will attempt to check it better, I seen all types of shit from all the units plus the list of all who served in the units listed above....I will try and get this info....

Thanks

Well I got tied up in the Tiger Force, Recondo school and L/75/RGR while hunting for Ernie, got some Kewl flicks in my photo album
    check them out if you get a chance...

Thanks

In the 173rd the rule was (3) I got medivac to Japan when I got my third and then later home to Irwin Army hospital when I was fully recovered they would not let me return to finish my extension. Which pissed me off because I wanted to buy that Challenger they offered through the exchange that you could buy overseas and avoid paying any tax.
    “Cowards fled to the north to avoid service only to be welcomed back with full immunity, while those that served were scorned for their honorable service, go figure?”
    The above has come to be known as “Jane Fonda Traitor Syndrome” AKA Carters Follies, “Thou shalt honor thy cowards and deplore the virtues of honorable men.” Jimmy the Peanut Farmer Carter by D. W. aka Herd1970 in the year of our Lord 2010

Thanks

Hell Yeah, You wouldn't want to miss out on a deal like that (HA). Yeah they sent my ass home and my extension was approved to go to B Co 5th SFG, Pleiku LRRP. But I only had 150 days left in the Army and they were saying Man you can get out right now. If I wanted to get out I would not have extended. So I requested a 90 day extension for my ETS date. Well I got called down to the HQ shack and the clerk said your extension was disapproved, I said BS I already talked to them. He said no I mean personnel said you cannot extend because your on orders for FT Bragg! WHAT, that's BS, well then I want an early out. Can't do it, when your on orders. The CDR (An SF MAJ) came out and heard what was going on. I told him SIR, they want to send my ass to Bragg and by the time I take a leave, get in processed, I'll almost be a 90 day loss, this is stupid. Sir I will re-enlist for 2 years if you can get me that extension.
    He tried and from what the clerk told me he said the MAJ said," This man has been in country for 19 months and he's a dam good soldier and I feel if he goes to SF he will not only be an asset, I think he will stay in the Army, there's always exceptions to prescribed policy's and I want to request he be given that exception. DAM use some common sense for a change"!!
    I left country on the day I was suppose to sign into 5th GP went to Bragg, got orders for 3/325, missed shipment and they kept me at Repl Depl as a prison chaser for 3 months and I said FTA and got out.....
    Last edited by Brasso; 05-21-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Thanks

Well, I did some research on Dirty Ernie and these are the few things I came up with.....Check out the 2nd frame. where the guy said when he was KIA it was his 14th PH !!!

Last edited by Brasso; 05-21-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Thanks

Wow.

Thanks, Brasso

المتخلف اللص

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vnvetret View Post
    Brasso -- Brother, I have been meaning to ask you about two guys who were friends of mine in the 1/101. They went LRRP and I tried to join them, but an LT in charge told me he wanted younger, more imaginative people (??) Anyway, their names were/are: SSG Joe Griffis (deceased),and SP5 Virgil Palk. Joe died from Malaria (Blackwater Fever), and,I would assume Palk is long retired now. He and I both served in SOG,but never ran into each other. JQ
    Virgil Palk retired from the Army in 1991 according to another website. He was my team sergeant in 5th SFG in the 70s. When I last heard from him, about four years ago, he was working in South America.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joelhar View Post
    Virgil Palk retired from the Army in 1991 according to another website. He was my team sergeant in 5th SFG in the 70s. When I last heard from him, about four years ago, he was working in South America.
    That's fabulous news Joel....how about posting an actual intro according to the SOP....
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/yrualeg1/sigpic787_4gif-2.gif

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people, Back to the beginning! Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla! Where the brave may live forever!

Thanks

Done.
    Quote Originally Posted by yrualeg View Post
    That's fabulous news Joel....how about posting an actual intro according to the SOP....

Thanks

What a story and thanks for sharing. That's the epitome of Airborne. "All the Way"
    "Get out of that door you Goddamn piece of shit" and than I felt the kick of the boot on my skinny ass and the small of my back-it broke my grasp of the tower door and out I went screaming like a little girl.