Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Once a Paratrooper Always a Paratrooper

Thanks

Default Once a Paratrooper Always a Paratrooper

Regardless if you're a cherry poppin 5 jump chump or have over 400 jumps, we are the elite, the finest in the military. Not everyone can do what we do on a daily basis. We are the band of brothers and sisters who start and finish the fight. Maroon beret earned, not issued.

THE AIRBORNE
    Who are these men who fall from the sky? Determination on their face, and fire in their eye, Maroon berets, and paint-by-number smocks, All the time thinking, they're No. 1 jocks.
    It's The Airborne!
    Hard they work, day and nite, So, if called upon, they can go and fight, Push-ups and chin-ups and running galore, All the time shouting "We Want More".
    It's The Airborne!
    Up in the mock tower, practicing their jump, Every third one out lands on his rump. The RSM yelling and screaming in vain, All the troops thinking, "This Guy's Insane".
    It's The Airborne!
    At last the day comes, now for the real thing, Each of them feeling like he is a king. The doors are open, they are all hooked up, They're ready to make this important first jump.
    It's The Airborne!
    Who are these men who fall from the sky? Determination on their face and fire in their eye, These are the few, the proud, and the brave, These are the ones, for which the skies were made.
    These Are The AIRBORNE!

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win -Sun Tzu

AATW! Let's Go!

Thanks

Default Re: Once a Paratrooper Always a Paratrooper

great post rep inbound.
    " Show me a man that will jump out of an airplane, and i'll show you a man who'll fight."
    General James M. Gavin " Jumping Jim "

Thanks

Excellent

KG5CDZ

"لا يمكن أن تغزو الولايات المتحدة الأمريكية البر الرئيسي، سيكون هناك بندقية وراء كل شفرة من العشب" ~ الاميرال

Thanks

Airborne!!!!

Thanks

Great post, but I 100% disagree with the 5 jump chump being "part of the elite" or being considered "Airborne". Being "Airborne" is not spending 3 weeks at BAC and going off to 25th ID to never jump again. Being Airborne-qualified does not earn you the right to be called a paratrooper or airborne for that matter. To be a paratrooper means joining an airborne unit where you could be jumping into enemy terroritory at a moments notice and consistently jump to stay proficient. If all I had was my 5 jumps from BAC, I would not consider myself as being part of a proud history and tradition that goes back to WWII. I would just be another soldier that got a slot to a school and I got an individual achievement by getting my wings, which in the end, means very little.

I would NEVER give props to an airborne qualified soldier that either avoids assignment to an airborne unit or has yet to join. I will show them respect for completing the course, but I would tell them in a heartbeat that they are still not truly airborne or most importantly, a paratrooper. Also, the maroon beret is earned once you serve in a airborne unit, not graduating jump school. I did not get my maroon beret until I was inprocessing into the 82nd and the clowns that wore maroon berets after BAC got smoked at 19th Replacement (which was hilarious). Like I said before, great post and it is good to see the pride you have for the airborne, but don't give those 5 jump chumps anything until they actually join the club and get their knees in the breeze for a living.

Thanks

I agree. The 82nd Airborne Div made me a Paratrooper. BAC qualified me to become one.

Ops NCO is offline "Call me Ops" Association Staff
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bugkill View Post
    Great post, but I 100% disagree with the 5 jump chump being "part of the elite" or being considered "Airborne". Being "Airborne" is not spending 3 weeks at BAC and going off to 25th ID to never jump again. Being Airborne-qualified does not earn you the right to be called a paratrooper or airborne for that matter. To be a paratrooper means joining an airborne unit where you could be jumping into enemy terroritory at a moments notice and consistently jump to stay proficient. If all I had was my 5 jumps from BAC, I would not consider myself as being part of a proud history and tradition that goes back to WWII. I would just be another soldier that got a slot to a school and I got an individual achievement by getting my wings, which in the end, means very little.

I would NEVER give props to an airborne qualified soldier that either avoids assignment to an airborne unit or has yet to join. I will show them respect for completing the course, but I would tell them in a heartbeat that they are still not truly airborne or most importantly, a paratrooper. Also, the maroon beret is earned once you serve in a airborne unit, not graduating jump school. I did not get my maroon beret until I was inprocessing into the 82nd and the clowns that wore maroon berets after BAC got smoked at 19th Replacement (which was hilarious). Like I said before, great post and it is good to see the pride you have for the airborne, but don't give those 5 jump chumps anything until they actually join the club and get their knees in the breeze for a living.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recon133 View Post
    I agree. The 82nd Airborne Div made me a Paratrooper. BAC qualified me to become one.
    Agree with both. Which is, in my mind, why jump school should be reserved for those enroute to a position on jump status. No ticket punching.

(That being said, I mean no disrespect to any board members who earned wings but didn't serve on jump status.)
    11B2P
    B Company, 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
    Member of the original 505th PIR Gavin Squad - 1986

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ops NCO View Post
    Agree with both. Which is, in my mind, why jump school should be reserved for those enroute to a position on jump status. No ticket punching.

(That being said, I mean no disrespect to any board members who earned wings but didn't serve on jump status.)
    Makes sense

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win -Sun Tzu

AATW! Let's Go!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ops NCO View Post

Exactly! The damn big-wigs at DA have completely stripped away the true meaning of being a paratrooper and nothing PISSES me off more than seeing a bunch of soldiers wearing maron berets that are either LEGS or 5 JUMP CHUMPS. What the hell were they smoking when they ALLOWED non-airborne qualified soldiers to wear the maroon beret? That damn beret means something and I hated the "unit cohesiveness" argument that was made for the dumbass decision. The maroon beret is to be EARNED, not issued. Legs can't blend in amongst paratroopers because they have NO WINGS! Just like special operations support soldiers in SF units can't wear green berets anymore because you have to EARN the right to wear it, so why in the f**k did they just s**t on the airborne tradition?

Sorry, I know that this thread is supposed to be about having pride in being a paratrooper, but our tradition has been watered down by stupid decisions over the last several years. They have taken the pride of being a paratrooper and made it "unit specific", which really chaffes my ass. Why protect the tan and green beret, but not the maroon one? Why should leg warriors serving in an airborne unit be bestowed the honor of wearing a maroon beret when all they can do is perform their daily duties and get detailed to being our taxi service after our drops? Total BS, make them wear their black beret until they get jump wings and start jumping with the unit.

My rant is over.

Thanks

Exactly! The damn big-wigs at DA have completely stripped away the true meaning of being a paratrooper and nothing PISSES me off more than seeing a bunch of soldiers wearing maron berets that are either LEGS or 5 JUMP CHUMPS. What the hell were they smoking when they ALLOWED non-airborne qualified soldiers to wear the maroon beret? That damn beret means something and I hated the "unit cohesiveness" argument that was made for the dumbass decision. The maroon beret is to be EARNED, not issued. Legs can't blend in amongst paratroopers because they have NO WINGS! Just like special operations support soldiers in SF units can't wear green berets anymore because you have to EARN the right to wear it, so why in the f**k did they just s**t on the airborne tradition?

Sorry, I know that this thread is supposed to be about having pride in being a paratrooper, but our tradition has been watered down by stupid decisions over the last several years. They have taken the pride of being a paratrooper and made it "unit specific", which really chaffes my ass. Why protect the tan and green beret, but not the maroon one? Why should leg warriors serving in an airborne unit be bestowed the honor of wearing a maroon beret when all they can do is perform their daily duties and get detailed to being our taxi service after our drops? Total BS, make them wear their black beret until they get jump wings and start jumping with the unit.

My rant is over.
    And to make matters worse, most of them can't even wear the beret correctly, not more embarrassing than watching a General of all people wearing a black beret wrong, there are regulations on the wear of the beret, you'd think SOMEONE would educate these Generals before letting them stand in front of a camera

Thanks

AIR FUCKING BORNE
    FISHDO,
    George Soros sucks

Thanks

Well I agree with the fact the fairly new Maroon Beret should be reserved for those that are assigned to an Airborne unit. But like the Black Beret that should have stayed with only people that were actual rangers or served in Combat with 75th before they had ranger school, sadly it's not that way because some civilian asshole made a dumb ass decision over at the Pentagon. That happens from time to time I've heard.
    I do have to tell you though I'm a little offended by your stupid statement about 5 jump chumps not being Airborne son. As this Skysoldier did his five jumps went off to Vietnam to the only Airborne unit in Vietnam at the time. While the only unit that ever jumped, the 173rd Airborne. He being I got my ass shot off without our unit making any jumps because it wasn't in the stupid ass orders of the day. Oh there were units like 101st that their patch said Airborne and there may have been a few qualified guys mixed in here and there but they were not Airborne they were a leg outfit.
    We were on Airborne status the entire time I was there. We drew jump pay but the idiots would not let us jump. So if I read you correctly all of us the served and fought with 173rd even though we only had our qualifying jumps were not Paratroopers? Well let me say I think your wrong and I'll leave it at that young brother as I'm new and not looking to offend!!!!!!! I will say I think you would play hell getting this Skysoldier's Wings?
    If we followed your thinking then why not take it a step further if you have never served in combat in an Airborne unit and made at least one combat jump than you have no business calling yourself a paratrooper!!! So sorry this 5 jump chump thinks YFOS son! I did a tour, extended for six months, got a transfer to November Company 75th Rangers, five days later I took a round and woke up in Japan. That was my third Heart, all document on the DD214 I sent to Cal.
    If I wanted to wear a Ranger Tab over my 173rd patch on the right shoulder of the dress blues that I'll someday be buried in, I would be entitled to do so. I don't because I never attend Ranger School. No poser here young man, just a proud Skysoldier and Paratrooper. One more than willing to disagree and give some of you young men some history. But hey if you want call me a 5 jump chump go ahead it's America, you just might want to make sure you can stack up! Have a nice day young brother.
    “Cowards fled to the north to avoid service only to be welcomed back with full immunity, while those that served were scorned for their honorable service, go figure?”
    The above has come to be known as “Jane Fonda Traitor Syndrome” AKA Carters Follies, “Thou shalt honor thy cowards and deplore the virtues of honorable men.” Jimmy the Peanut Farmer Carter by D. W. aka Herd1970 in the year of our Lord 2010

Thanks

Honestly, I never thought there was a division between BAC and a unit on jump status.
    Back in my day; the wings on the chest said that person had the guts to go thru all the training to get them. I wanted to be part of that brotherhood.

Are we going to get picky about ALL the schools, awards, and patches now and become a bunch of bitchy little girls?

just my .02...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Herd1970 View Post
    Well I agree with the fact the fairly new Maroon Beret should be reserved for those that are assigned to an Airborne unit. But like the Black Beret that should have stayed with only people that were actual rangers or served in Combat with 75th before they had ranger school, sadly it's not that way because some civilian asshole made a dumb ass decision over at the Pentagon. That happens from time to time I've heard.
    I do have to tell you though I'm a little offended by your stupid statement about 5 jump chumps not being Airborne son. As this Skysoldier did his five jumps went off to Vietnam to the only Airborne unit in Vietnam at the time. While the only unit that ever jumped, the 173rd Airborne. He being I got my ass shot off without our unit making any jumps because it wasn't in the stupid ass orders of the day. Oh there were units like 101st that their patch said Airborne and there may have been a few qualified guys mixed in here and there but they were not Airborne they were a leg outfit.
    We were on Airborne status the entire time I was there. We drew jump pay but the idiots would not let us jump. So if I read you correctly all of us the served and fought with 173rd even though we only had our qualifying jumps were not Paratroopers? Well let me say I think your wrong and I'll leave it at that young brother as I'm new and not looking to offend!!!!!!! I will say I think you would play hell getting this Skysoldier's Wings?
    If we followed your thinking then why not take it a step further if you have never served in combat in an Airborne unit and made at least one combat jump than you have no business calling yourself a paratrooper!!! So sorry this 5 jump chump thinks YFOS son! I did a tour, extended for six months, got a transfer to November Company 75th Rangers, five days later I took a round and woke up in Japan. That was my third Heart, all document on the DD214 I sent to Cal.
    If I wanted to wear a Ranger Tab over my 173rd patch on the right shoulder of the dress blues that I'll someday be buried in, I would be entitled to do so. I don't because I never attend Ranger School. No poser here young man, just a proud Skysoldier and Paratrooper. One more than willing to disagree and give some of you young men some history. But hey if you want call me a 5 jump chump go ahead it's America, you just might want to make sure you can stack up! Have a nice day young brother.
    Fuck. That was diplomatic Herd. Are you sure you are a paratrooper?
    That which is not forbidden, is compulsory.

Thanks

Ive always been of the opinion that it takes six jumps to spell cherry and only five to spell chump. With that being said at least the individual at one time or another was there and met the standard to graduate the course. I do agree however when you get people that are looking for a "staff starter kit" and go on a badge spree that nothing pisses me off worse than when someone goes to the school just to get a badge but doesnt want fuck all to do with it afterward. I had a guy I worked for that went to Airborne specifically for the badge and nothing more.....but hes a spineless jellyfish and thats a side story anyways.

I can say that now that I am finally in a position to send Soldiers of mine to a variety of schools i.e. Airborne the only issue I have is there are no longer Airborne slots in any unit for aviation. Yes I know I will get my balls busted but I served with some of the best America had to offer when I was with the 82nd and I always liked being around double volunteers. This fact of course doesnt stop several hard charging studs I have working for me asking me daily when I am going to send them to Airborne School. My answer is as soon as I can.