Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Many uses of Duct Tape in Alaska

Thanks

Default The Many uses of Duct Tape in Alaska

This is a classic example of a real Dumb Ass Move! Leaving bait in an aircraft in Bear Country is about a stpid as a one legged man entering an ass kicking contest.
    During a private "fly-in" fishing excursion in the Alaskan wilderness, the chartered pilot and fishermen left a cooler and bait in the plane. And a bear smelled it. This is what he did to the plane.

The pilot used his radio and had another pilot bring him 2 new tires, 3 cases of duct tape, and a supply of sheet plastic. He patched the plane together, and FLEW IT HOME!

Last edited by lz_NorthPole; 01-11-2010 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Add more photos

If a mind is a terrible thing to waste; I am the poster child for Tragedy…

http://www.myspace.com/lz_flatfish

http://www.62ndcacrc.com/

Thanks

Default Re: The Many uses of Duct Tape in Alaska

The McGyver theme song is now stuck in my head!
    If Mr. Einstein doesn't like the natural laws of the universe, let him go back to where he came from. ~ Robert Benchley

Thanks

But did it fly?
    Bring on the Sizzler

"508 All the Way, Sir"
    "Thou shalt not be a victim. Thou shalt not be a perpetrator. Above all, thou shalt not be a bystander." Yehuda Bauer
    I believe the Best Social Program is a Job - Ronald Reagan

Thanks

Hell Yea it will fly. The super Cub is Alaska's finest bush plane. I once landed on an old overgrown firebreak and the willows were so thick we tore a good bit of fabric getting in. Duck tape is called "Hundred Mile an Hour Tape" in Alaska. We got out with the machetes and within an hour or so we had an airstrip fit for moose camp. Fish and gamHell Yea it will fly. The super Cub is Alaska's finest bush plane. I once landed on an old overgrown firebreak and the willows were so thick we tore a good bit of fabric getting in. Duck tape is called "Hundred Mile an Hour Tape" in Alaska. We got out with the machetes and within an hour or so we had an airstrip fit for moose camp. Fish and game flew out to check on us and when they say our "Strip" they wouldn't land and went back for the chopper. There were 5 mose killed on that trip and I never saw a live Moose. But bakk then I was still in damn goos shape so I wound up packing a hell of a lot of meat to the strip. Good times!e flew out to check on us and when they say our "Strip" they wouldn't land and went back for the chopper. There were 5 mose killed on that trip and I never saw a live Moose. But bakk then I was still in damn goos shape so I wound up packing a hell of a lot of meat to the strip. Good times!

If a mind is a terrible thing to waste; I am the poster child for Tragedy…

http://www.myspace.com/lz_flatfish

http://www.62ndcacrc.com/

Thanks

KG5CDZ المتخلف اللص

Thanks

and again.......

KG5CDZ المتخلف اللص

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VB View Post
    But did it fly?
    Not only did it fly, but
    It became an ambassador for Duct Unlimited.

Thanks

I used to fly a LOT in Civil Air Patrol in my teens before my 1st enlistment. People would be amazed at what a light plane can go through and still stay aloft. I've personally been flying during total electrical system failures (Cessna 140), looped a non-aerobatic rated aircraft (a box-stock rental Cessna 150), and flown through telephone lines that stopped the prop dead, busted out the side window, bent the nosegear sideways, ripped the sheet metal on the top of the left wing, and popped two-thirds of the rivets (Beech Musketeer Sport) and still managed to get it back to the airfield 80+ miles away. The buddy I flew with joined the Army a few months before I did with a fixed-wing contract, but ended up flying helos in RVN -- never have found out if he made it okay.
    We were the kids who would jump off a bridge if our friends did it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zanshin View Post
    I used to fly a LOT in Civil Air Patrol in my teens before my 1st enlistment. People would be amazed at what a light plane can go through and still stay aloft. I've personally been flying during total electrical system failures (Cessna 140), looped a non-aerobatic rated aircraft (a box-stock rental Cessna 150), and flown through telephone lines that stopped the prop dead, busted out the side window, bent the nosegear sideways, ripped the sheet metal on the top of the left wing, and popped two-thirds of the rivets (Beech Musketeer Sport) and still managed to get it back to the airfield 80+ miles away. The buddy I flew with joined the Army a few months before I did with a fixed-wing contract, but ended up flying helos in RVN -- never have found out if he made it okay.
    This was before Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic right?
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/yrualeg1/sigpic787_4gif-2.gif

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people, Back to the beginning! Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla! Where the brave may live forever!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yrualeg View Post
    This was before Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic right?
    Given your age and that you reside in Georgia, I'll accept that you were taught that flight occurred during the Vietnam war. What I find hard to believe is that you paid attention to the teacher. You must have thought he was really cute.
    We were the kids who would jump off a bridge if our friends did it.

Thanks

In the 60's we used a hell of a lot of duct tape in the 101st. Everything from vehicles to aircraft doors. Jumpmasters always had a roll or two to tape the door edges on the ratty Reserve aircraft we jumped. I even held the convertable top together on my 58 Impala. I don't think civilians had discovered it yet. AIRBORNE! GERONIMO!!

Thanks

so what kind of weaponry is mounted on that thing in that last pic? lol

Why tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at deaths door?
    The more I know, the more I know I don't know.
    If not you then who?
    *2009 APO NFL FFL Champion
    *2011 APO NFL FFL Champion
    *2013 APO NFL FFL Champion

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zanshin View Post
    Given your age and that you reside in Georgia, I'll accept that you were taught that flight occurred during the Vietnam war. What I find hard to believe is that you paid attention to the teacher. You must have thought he was really cute.

Just not as cute as your mom......
    http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j307/yrualeg1/sigpic787_4gif-2.gif

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people, Back to the beginning! Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them, in the halls of Valhalla! Where the brave may live forever!

Thanks

I got the email about this and the pics around the same time lz_NorthPole posted it.
    Makes you wonder sometimes how many people we collectively know in common to each other.

lz....you know a guy named Grabey?

Thanks

This is a nice platform to have a chat about whatever you want. See ya around.