Some books on Rifle Accuracy, Marksmanship, and Competitive Shooting.
I put this list of books together for someone asking information on books for Rifle Marksmanship. It was on another website and I thought I would share the list here. Maybe some others can add books I have not listed. And maybe the moderators or whoever can make it a sticky.
I have added substantially to this list. I have read these books over a period of over twenty years!
Books on Firearms
1) The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page
2) The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy by Glenn Newick
3) The Accurate Varmint Rifle by Boyd Mace
1) Marksmanship, An illustrated guide to better shooting by Gary L. Anderson
2) Successful Shooting by Bill Pullum and Frank Hanenkrat
3) Competitive Shooting by A. A. Yur' Yev (An excellent, and by far, the finest in Competitive shooting by a Russian rifle coach translated and published by the N.R.A. Includes pistol).
High Power Service and Match Rifle Competition and 1,000 Yard Long Range Competition:
1) The Competitive AR 15 (the mouse that roared) by Glen D. Zediker
2) High Power Rifle by (the incomparable) G. David Tubb
3) Black Magic, The Ultra Accurate AR-15 by John Feamster
4) Competitive Shooting Excellence with the High Power Target Rifle by Lester W. Karas, P, Eng.
5) The Highpower Shooting Primeer: The Very Best Articles on Shooting and Reloading for the Most Popular of all the Rifle Accuracy Disciplines...Highpower Shooting. From the Pages of Precision Shooting Magazines 1990-1999. ed. Dave Brennan of Precision Shooting Inc.
6) Precision Shooting at 1,000 Yards ed. by Dave Brennan
7) Precision Shooting: Reloading Guide ed. by Dave Brennan
The Gun Digest Books on the AR-15: Inside Information on America's Most Versatile Rifle:
1) The AR-15: History, Performance Tests, and Maintenance Tips by Patrick Sweeney
2) The AR-15 Vol. 2: Customization Projects, Performance Tests, Magazines & Ammunition by Patrick Sweeney
Books on the Craft of Military and Police Sniping:
1) The Military and Police Sniper by Mike Lau
2) The Ultimate Sniper by John L. Plaster
3) Sniper Counter Sniper: A Guide for Special Response Teams by Mark V. Lonsdale (Specialized Tactical Training Unit)
4) SNIPER II by Mark V. Lonsdale (Specialized Tactical Training Unit)
5) Advanced Weapons Training: For Hostage Rescue Teams by Mark V. Lonsdale (Specialized Tactical Training Unit)
"Classic" Books on Sniping from the Civil War onwards:
1) Shock Troops of the Confederacy: The Sharpshooter Battalions of the Army of Northern Virginia by Fred L. Ray
2) A Rifleman Went to War by H. W. McBride
3) Sniping in the Great War by Martin Pegler
4) Sniping in France: How the British Army won the Sniping War in the Trenches by Maj. H. Hesketh Prichard, D.S.O., M.C.
5) With British Snipers to the Reich by Captain C. Shore
6) Sniper: on the Eastern Front: The memoirs of Sepp Allerberger Knights Cross (Controversial-may be pseudo-historical) by Albrecht Wacker
7) Stalk and Kill: The Sniper Experience by Adrian Gilbert
8) Stalkers and Shooters: A History of Snipers by Kevin Dockery
9) One Shot - One Kill: American Combat Snipers, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Beirut by Charles W. Sasser and Craig Roberts
10) Hogs in the Shadows: Combat Stories from Marine Snipers in Iraq by Milo S. Afong
11) Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper by Gunnery Sgt. Jack Coughlin, U.S.M.C.
Biographical Books on Carlos Hathcock II:
1) Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills by Charles Henderson
2) Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Vietnam Story Continues by Charles Henderson
3) White Feather:
The Chandler & Chandler Series on Marine Corps Sniping: Presentation Numbered and Signed Edition:
1) Volume 1: Death From Afar
2) Volume 2: Death From Afar
3) Volume 3: Death From Afar: The Black Book
4) Volume 4: Death From Afar
5) Volume 5: Death From Afar
The Peter R. Senich / Paladin Press Series on Military Sniping:
1) The German Sniper: 1914 - 1945
2) The Complete Book of U.S. Sniping
3) The U.S. Marine Corps Scout-Sniper: World War II and Korea
4) The Long Range War: Sniping in Vietnam (Emphasized U.S. Army Sniping with Development of M21 System by USAMTU and Leatherwood Telescope)
5) The One-Round War: U.S.M.C. Scout-Snipers in Vietnam
Books by Collector Grade Publications on German Small Arms design:
1) Backbone of the Wehrmacht: The GERMAN K98k RIFLE 1934-1945, 1st Edition by Richard D. Law
2) Backbone of the Wehrmacht Volume II: Sniper Variations of the German K98k Rifle by Richard D. Law
3) Death From Above: The German FG42 Paratroop Rifle by Thomas B. Dugelby and R. Blake Stevens (series editor)
Other Books on German Small Arms Design During the First Half of the Twentieth Century:
1) The German Assault Rifle 1935-1945 by Peter R. Senich
2) German Military Rifles and Machine Pistols 1871-1945 by Hans Dieter Gotz (with umlaut over the o)
3) Mauser Military Rifles of the World by Robert W. D. Bell (Vol.II forthcoming)
Books on Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Series by Collector Grade Publications:
1) Volume One: U.S. Rifle M14 from John Garand to the M21 by R. Blake Stevens
2) Volume Two: The SPIW: The Deadliest Weapon That Never Was by R. Blake Stevens and Edward C. Ezell
3) Volume Three: The Black Rifle: M16 Retrospective by R. Blake stevens and Edward C. Ezell
4) Volume Three?: Black Rifle II: The M16 Into The 21st Century by Christopher R. Bartocci
Miscellaneous Books on the Various Topics Including Ian Skennerton's Books on the Lee Enfield Rifle and British Sniping:
1) The History and Development of the M16 Rifle and its Cartridge by David R. Hughes
2) Volume 1: The Bolt Action: A Design Analysis by Stuart Otteson
3) The British Sniper: British & Commonwealth Sniping & Equipments 1915-1983 by Ian Skennerton
4) The Lee-Enfield Story: The Lee-Metford, Lee-Enfield, S.M.L.E. and No. 4 Series Rifles and Carbines 1880 to the Present. by Ian Skennerton
5) An Armourer's Perspective: .303 No. 4 (T) Sniper Rifle and the Holland & Holland Connection by Peter Laidler with Ian Skennerton
Books on Carbine combat and Present Day Lessons Learned:
1) Green Eyes, Black Rifles by SGM Kyle E. Lamb (nobody retires from being a warrior)
Books on Pistols and Revolvers:
Books on Shotguns:
Books on Knives
I hope this helps!
Last edited by Ricardus; 09-08-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Reason: Adding Books to lists
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
Thomas Paine, volunteer in the Continental Army in his The American Crisis.