Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is your favorite Airborne Hero and why?

Who is your favorite Airborne Hero and why?

This is a thread from the original APO I'm not sure who started it, but some great men were mentioned in it so I thought it should be brought back.

I hope no one minds.

First I want to say that in my mind every single one of you is a hero.
    Every member of this site, any one who has ever jumped from an airplane while in flight in the name of American freedom is a hero.

Being a civilian who never served, I have no ties or loyalty to any one particular regiment or unit.

That being said, there are two men who stand out in my mind who's very actions define what a hero is.

MSG Gary Gordon and SFC Randy Shughart.

October 3-4, 1993.
    The Battle of Mogadishu, Somalia. Day of the Rangers.

Basically everyone here knows the story.
    The primary mission by Task Force Ranger was achieved, it was when two black hawk helicopters were shot down by Somalian militants that everything changed.

When I was reading about this, what stood out to me was that both Gordon and Shughart VOLUNTEERED to be sent down to the crash site.

Given the situation, and what they knew about it, I can only imagine that they knew they probably would be killed. They went anyway.

This is why they are, to me the greatest of so many great men.
    On the 8th day, God created Paratroopers.
    And the devil stood at attention.

1SG P..... of C 3/325 in '87-'88.

He was the most squared away and impressive Paratrooper and soldier I ever met.

I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country Victory or Death. William Barrett Travis.

Boldly going nowhere. Zimmy

Anyone who was on Hill 875.

Especially the Fallen.
    After the war, someone asked him why he stood alone against an entire German company. Audie Murphy replied:

They were killing my friends.

Paratrooper

Remember the second part of the question gents (Why?) I am interested in hearing as well.

Paratrooper

I think mine was the first true supervisor I had when I got to 3/325th. SSG Hubler. He was a former infantryman and was both firm but easy to relate to and a good teacher. Instead of just barking out orders he would instruct and actually lead to show you how to do things whether it was PAC related or operational for field work. I still stay in contact with him through Facebook but it reminds me that I need to connect with him more.

Ira Hayes,Brave man tragic life story.
    Lighten up Francis ! I did nothing more than follow in the footsteps of Hero's.

Quote Originally Posted by K.M.I.A View Post
    Ira Hayes,Brave man tragic life story.
    Absolutely Sir. One thing I'm a little guilty of is when I think about the Airborne I automatically think of the Army.
    Have to remember other branches have their Airborne too.
    On the 8th day, God created Paratroopers.
    And the devil stood at attention.

Brat,you do not have to sir me.I worked for a living as we say here.
    Lighten up Francis ! I did nothing more than follow in the footsteps of Hero's.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouchy Hippo View Post
    Anyone who was on Hill 875.

Especially the Fallen.
    As it happens I was nearby when this battle took place. I was in B Co of the 2nd Battalion and all the other companies went up that Hill. We had been in a pretty good firefight just days before so we were under strength. So we sat over on FSB 16 a mile or so away when all hell broke loose. One morning, I forget the date, we were all rucked up to go to their relief and, I very clearly recall this part, I realized just how quiet everyone was. I looked to my left and there was a line of men calmly waiting and then I looked to the right and there was a line going that way as well. I think we all knew we were going to die but we were still going. I never before had seen such courage, and no I do not count myself in that as I was so new that I had no idea what to expect. At the last moment the brass canceled us and sent in the 4th Battalion instead. A couple of weeks later I was over on the larger FSB 12 and we had the boots ceremony for the Fallen and that made another huge memory for me. As a matter of fact my wife said she saw me on TV in that ceremony. Over the years I have had the honor of meeting a number of men who were on that Hill. A few from 2nd Batt and some from the 4th Batt and all have scars on their hearts from being there. I love each and every one of them and thank God for the opportunity to have served in the same unit as them.
    After the war, someone asked him why he stood alone against an entire German company. Audie Murphy replied:

They were killing my friends.

John. I am a cold war soldier, and have the greatest respect for warriors like yourself who have given so much to
    their Country. I know what it's like to loose loved ones and comrades in War. I lost my father when I was 13 to injures he received in Europe during WWII, plus a half brother in Korea, and an Brother-in-law and a close friend to Nam. But if it wasn't for Americans like you and others, we would have no America. My prayers are out fulltime for your recovery.