Thread: UDT/SEAL Museum Annual Muster

Thanks

Default UDT/SEAL Museum Annual Muster

UDT-SEAL Museum to host its annual 'Muster'

By staff report
    Saturday, November 8, 2008

ST. LUCIE COUNTY Each year around Veterans Day, the National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum in Fort Pierce hosts its annual "Muster."
    SEALs from all over the country convene at the museum to see friends and teammates, as well as provide the American public a unique glimpse into the world of Special Operations and Naval Special Warfare.
    The activities start off Nov. 15 in the morning with a 5K run/walk. This run/walk is on the beach, and contestants will have the opportunity to test their ability and stamina against former and current SEALs. After the race, there is a Veteran's Day ceremony that features the U.S. Navy Parachute Team, the "Leapfrogs," demonstrating their superior skills by parachuting directly onto the grounds. The Leapfrogs jump from approximately 12,000 feet and after gliding for approximately 2-3 miles, they deploy their chutes and conduct a series of intricate choreographed maneuvers.
    There is also a live demonstration featuring Navy SEAL commandos conducting a helicopter assault, building takedown and other demonstrations highlighting their capabilities and typical mission scenarios. Because of the clandestine nature of their missions, these demonstrations provide a rare insight into the Navy SEALs and what they do.
    The ceremony includes an address by a keynote speaker. In addition to the keynote speakers, there are other celebrity SEALs attending Muster. This year, Richard Mackowicz, host of "Future Weapons" and author of the best-selling book "Unleash the Warrior Within" will be speaking and signing autographs.
    Also in attendance will be Mr. Richard Marcinko, author of the "Rogue Warrior" series, as well as RDML. Edward G. Winters, commander of Naval Special Warfare.
    http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/nov/08/udt-seal-museum-host-its-annual-muster/?partner=yahoo_headlines

Ops NCO is offline "Call me Ops" Association Staff
    Thanks

Default Re: UDT/SEAL Museum Annual Muster

Sounds like tons of fun. Wish I could go.

Saw Marcinko would be there. I thought I heard he was persona non grata in the community? Apparently, that G-2 was wrong....
    11B2P
    B Company, 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
    Member of the original 505th PIR Gavin Squad - 1986

Thanks

He's PNG on any federal installations, since he is a convicted felon (he was convicted of travel claim fraud for something like $13.00, but stealing from Uncle Sam is stealing, regardless of the amount). With that said, Marcinko stood up a world class organization in nine months that is still one of the finest in the world today. I'm not a particular fan or disciple of the man since he failed to evolve with the changing military and political climate, but he did some fantastic things in his day.

Ops NCO is offline "Call me Ops" Association Staff
    Thanks

Interesting to hear the perspective of a BTDT. Marcinko's such a shameless self-promoter, it's always hard to filter out "what's real and what's Memorex".

I don't read much of his stuff nowadays (due to the abovementioned self promotion), but did find how he stood up Team Six a very interesting read. To create a high-performance team culture -- especially in what was an almost brand new operational area at the time -- could not have been an easy task. I imagine it probably helps to be a little "off kilter" to do it.
    11B2P
    B Company, 1/508 Inf (Abn) and 3/505 PIR
    Member of the original 505th PIR Gavin Squad - 1986

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trident86 View Post
    He's PNG on any federal installations, since he is a convicted felon (he was convicted of travel claim fraud for something like $13.00, but stealing from Uncle Sam is stealing, regardless of the amount). With that said, Marcinko stood up a world class organization in nine months that is still one of the finest in the world today. I'm not a particular fan or disciple of the man since he failed to evolve with the changing military and political climate, but he did some fantastic things in his day.

I think it was one of those shows like "American Justice" or somthing like that I saw a story about the Sharkman. He was given an article 15 for several reasons: travel vouchers screwed up, missing drager systems, using his command and control car w/ driver to attend parties; in his book he describes an incident where his driver hit another vehicle.

Also he kinda slams Sgt Drew Dix, a SF soldier who won the MOH. Dick says his men were right there with Drew and they didn't get the MOH. This is in Rogue Warrior. Read about Sgt Dix here.

Also he got into trouble over flash bangs. A former SEAL was manufacturing special flash bangs for the Special Ops community and some in our government though Dick was paying way too much money for these and kicking back to the owner of the company. The owner of the company may have turned witness against Marcinko. I can't recall. I think this is what he want to jail for.

I don't think anyone will ever know what really went on unless they were there. I do however think that Rogue Warrior was an excellent read.

I have read a few other books by SEALs. One guy; a LTCMDR Walsh, can't stand Marcinco. I guess in his book he was ordered to an interview with Marcinco to join that SMU he was creating and LTCMDR Walch says it turned into a shouting match and he didn't think he was going to get out of the office with out fighting. CMDR Robert A. Gormly was the commander of that unit and he says in his book that he helped prepare part of the prosecution.

There are a few books out there. But I guess no one really knows who or what really happened unless they were there. I still think he is a bad ass mofo for what he did in creating the unit.

BTW, sir get an avatar!
    Zulu-