View Poll Results: What's your AR primarily for?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Home/property defense

5 62.50%
  • Plinking/target work/3G

4 50.00%
  • Mid-range/Long range work/hunting

1 12.50%
  • Bragging rights/collection

0 0%
  • SHTF go-to rifle

4 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything AR

Cool Anything AR

Let's see your rig and learn more about.
    "What for", "why", and "if money was not an object".

My first AR (after years of various AKs and SIG556xi): Savage MSR-15 Recon.
    Melonite QPQ 16 1/8-inch barrel with 5R rifling, and 223 Wylde target chamber (5.56x45mm rated).
    Researched and learned a lot about (on tight budget); considered Springfield Armory The Saint first (very nice rifle; my buddy just got it after being influenced by my "research"). Thanks to recent major favorable changes, benefiting the firearms owners (notice: I tread lightly) and resulting in massive "proliferation" of the gun ownership in America, quality stuff became more affordable and available. (God Bless America: Second Protects the First!).

Main designation: a secondary for home defense (to CZ P-10C with 15+1 of 9mm) and plinking/target/minor comps.
    Love everything about "as is", but added YHM extended flash hider (have a drawer full of other muzzle "devices" for occasion), Magpul QD for the rail (it comes with stock-based ambi QD), BCM AFG, GripPod and Harris bipode for target jobs, PA 1-8x ACSS scope and basic reflex red dot (Aimpoint CompM2 GI edition for home/CQB/close range matches; not pictured); ambi latch (Blackhawk latch-free charging handle in transit), drop-in POF single-stage 4.5 lbs trigger with no-walk KNS pins.
    Didn't care for OEM trigger (Blackhawk: gritty, undefined, not much better than GI). Blackhawk OEM stock and pistol grip (love both; very comfortable and ergonomic; no plans on changing), original Blackhawk BUIS, and supplied Midland Industries free-floating handguard (came slightly loose: lock-tight'd and re-torqued once spotted; so did with every other hardware). Pictured with "temp" focusing flashlight; will add laser/light budget combo soon.

SavageMSR-15Recon_1.jpg

Made me a T-stand for Wheeler AR magwell adapter and really happy about. Works well when used with Dewey link (pictured installed). Also great for basic "on-paper" scope sighting.

SavageMSR-15Recon_2.jpg
    Last edited by SGT.Raven; 09-07-2017 at 04:25 AM.

The T-stand looks good, and definitely handy to have. I'll post my rundown in a few after I get the kids in bed.
    Drop your torch and fear not the darkness.

I'm building mine with mid to long range use in mind, hopefully some hunting one day. Although I really wanted to mark all the boxes on that survey.

Built from pieces over the course of a year and a half. Aero lower receiver and 15" MLOK hand guard; Sons of Liberty Gun Works upper receiver and 16" 1/8 twist 5.56 NATO barrel. Magpul MOE stock and MBUIS. Seekins Precision ambi safety set for only lefty and 60 degree throw.

Bolt and lower parts kit are mil-spec off brands. In hind sight I wish I'd gotten a better brand on the bolt. I learned a ton building this though.

Still on the list for this rifle is an MLOC QD sling mount, a low magnification optic, ambi bolt release and ambi charging handle.

Being a left hand shooter its nice to finally have a rifle I can set up just for myself.

Put Blackhawk "latch-free" charging handle in: LOVE IT!
    No latch to engage, full ambi (see my "old" ambi for comparison"), great texture and gripping surface, especially when using with large optics sitting near/over the handle.

WP_20170910_15_29_27_Pro.jpg WP_20170910_15_25_19_Pro_M.jpg WP_20170910_15_25_19_Pro.jpg WP_20170910_15_35_03_Pro1.jpg

Current Fun Gun

20170913_111534r.jpg

This has got to be as economical as possible. Upper from PSA. .223 Wylde chamber, 18" SS barrel, 15" M-Lok lightweight handguard, nickel-boron coated BCG, Badger Arms Tactical bolt latch. Bushnell TRS-25 3 moa red dot. 3x magnifier to add in front of RD or 1-4x, 6x, or 8x scope to replace RD. Jet-Comp planned to replace A2 FH. Olympic Arms lower. 30 round GI mag carrier on telescoping stock. Gotta get it to the range and see how it shoots.

This rifle will be coming to Sizzler 11.
    Last edited by Jeff82; 09-14-2017 at 03:16 PM.

How do you like that red dot? I need an optic and the Bushnell seems pretty reasonably priced. I want a decent product but can't spend $400 on an optic.

Keep an eye on that charging handle Raven. There's a few reviews of similar designs wearing out the upper receiver where it catches the handle, or the charging handle coming out of position while firing.

https://youtu.be/cUAReGmOLAU

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff82 View Post
    20170913_111534r.jpg

This has got to be as economical as possible. Upper from PSA. .223 Wylde chamber, 18" SS barrel, 15" M-Lok lightweight handguard, nickel-boron coated BCG, Badger Arms Tactical bolt latch. Bushnell TRS-25 3 moa red dot. 3x magnifier to add in front of RD or 1x4, 6, or 8 scope to replace RD. Jet-Comp planned to replace A2 FH. Olympic Arms lower. 30 round GI mag carrier on telescoping stock. Gotta get it to the range and see how it shoots.

This rifle will be coming to Sizzler 11.
    I got the same upper from PSA but haven't zeroed it yet. And I snagged a reasonable Bushnell 1-4x24 scope for it.
    Officer, these ain't my pants...

Quote Originally Posted by OakArsenal View Post
    How do you like that red dot? I need an optic and the Bushnell seems pretty reasonably priced. I want a decent product but can't spend $400 on an optic.

Keep an eye on that charging handle Raven. There's a few reviews of similar designs wearing out the upper receiver where it catches the handle, or the charging handle coming out of position while firing.

TRS-25 is in class of its own. No compromises there.
    More quality budget RDs are trickling in. Check Holosun and its Primary Arms builds. And then there is a Hi-Lux. Very interesting.
    Aimpoint Patrol Optics can be found under $400, and that's a budget of premier make.
    Definitely check Vortex. Great glass, sturdy built and priced right.

Thanks, will check on the charging handle. Having original latch and ambi-converted handle nearby.

That's a great list of references Raven, thanks. I can tell you've done your homework. I'll be checking all of those out.

Quote Originally Posted by OakArsenal View Post

I love the TRS-25. I've got 4, 2 w/hi-rise mount on ar's, and 2 on Bullseye pistols. I bought one for my son's ar (which I now own as he just moved to NY state) too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk